DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello yet again,
Another plumbing issue just came up in my house...

The newly installed kitchen strainer is now leaking. Yes, by the same unreliable contractor that disappeared on me.

Is it possible to repair it without removing the whole strainer and plumbing underneath? Can I apply putty or caulk?

Please see photo.

Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
16,968 Posts
It appears he put plumber's putty on the underside, and it doesn't go there. You should have a bead of plumber's putty in the flange inside the sink. On the underside there is a rubber gasket and a cardboard ring. The rubber gasket goes up against the sink bottom followed by the cardboard ring and the fastening ring. If you have a large set of channel lock pliers you may be able to tighten the nut, but ideally a tool for that purpose will make is easier. But to answer your question, it needs to come out and be done correctly.

Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend and I were able to replace the strainer with a new one and reconnected all the plumbing below. Took a long time just to take out the lock nut in the strainer, basically hitting it with a hammer while the other person holding the strainer basket on top with another tool. Such a bad design.

Anyhow, found out the contractor installed the strainer with missing rubber and cardboard gaskets and putting putty underneath the metal gasket. Unbelievable. Good thing we removed and replaced it with a new strainer.

Looks like it's not leaking now and the drain is faster than before.

A lot of work but also learned it's not as scary as it seemed.
Thank you ,all, for your help!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Hardest part is unscrewing the drain body ... you found that out. Twp people makes it easier. Stick the handles of a pair of pliers down the drain, hold with a wrench. Then hope you have a big enough wrench to turn the bottom part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts