DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
readydave8
59 Posts
On a sewer joint with no pressure, I have used purple primer around the hole, or around the joint, then a few coatings of pvc glue. Let the first coat of glue dry, then go over it one more time. I fixed a pvc pipe from a sump pump that was extended along side of my gutter In a simular matter. This joint had some pressure.
Even better is epoxy putty

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Even better is epoxy putty
Thanks Dave and Navane. I actually missed these posts and came back to give an update/pose another question. I didn’t feel confident cutting the pipe myself so we called a plumber (someone we don’t know) who agreed to do the fix for $300 and then he came down to $200 after we opened the wall ourselves. I assumed he would replace the pipes but he walked in with just glue cans. I asked if he needed a ladder or any other supplies bc I found it odd and he said no. That’s when I realized all he was going to do was put cement around it. I was a bit appalled that he would charge that much just to brush some glue onto the seam. I have no idea if you professionals feel that’s a fair charge or not, but I felt a bit had.

Anyhow, so here I was about to ask if I could just try to brush on a new layer of cement and whether it would work. Sounds like based on the last few posts, at least worth a try. I’ll do my best to “dry” out the drain by not using for a day. Thank you very much for your suggestions and guidance!!!

I guess I’ll skip the PVC cement we already have and go buy some epoxy putty and try it out.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks Dave and Navane. I actually missed these posts and came back to give an update/pose another question. I didn’t feel confident cutting the pipe myself so we called a plumber (someone we don’t know) who agreed to do the fix for $300 and then he came down to $200 after we opened the wall ourselves. I assumed he would replace the pipes but he walked in with just glue cans. I asked if he needed a ladder or any other supplies bc I found it odd and he said no. That’s when I realized all he was going to do was put cement around it. I was a bit appalled that he would charge that much just to brush some glue onto the seam. I have no idea if you professionals feel that’s a fair charge or not, but I felt a bit had.

Anyhow, so here I was about to ask if I could just try to brush on a new layer of cement and whether it would work. Sounds like based on the last few posts, at least worth a try. I’ll do my best to “dry” out the drain by not using for a day. Thank you very much for your suggestions and guidance!!!

I guess I’ll skip the PVC cement we already have and go buy some epoxy putty and try it out.
This guy is a "Hack" I'm sorry you didn't ask us first.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Product Liquid Font Material property Fluid

Are all epoxy putty’s generally the same? Is this product Ok? I noticed there are ones specifically that say “plumbing” In the name but aren’t a highly rated as this one

·
Registered
849 Posts
I really like JB weld on metal, I have no idea how it works on PVC

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would stick to the PBC glue. All these other glues are good, for general use, but PVC glue has been has the proven adhesive to PBC. JB weld is great and strong, when you are dealing in steel. The purple prep followed by the glue kind of melts into the PVC. So the plumber had the correct answer, just outrageous price.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks Navane. Already have that so I guess I’ll try it once I can limit water usage as much as possible. Any tips on what to use/how to best clean/prep the dirty pipes? I’ve read sandpaper and acetone (read somewhere alcohol is not recommended although many assume it’s good to use)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would stick with PVC purple prep and glue. Other glues don’t have the proven adhesive effect on PVC. PVC prep and glue, actually melt into the pipe. JB weld is great on metals, but I wouldn’t experiment on the adhesive effect on PVC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks reas Navane. Already have that so I guess I’ll try it once I can limit water usage as much as possible. Any tips on what to use/how to best clean/prep the dirty pipes? I’ve read sandpaper and acetone (read somewhere alcohol is not recommended although many assume it’s good to use)
Acetone would be the best solvent to clean up anything else on the fitting. Also it will dry out any water in that area.

·
Registered
32 Posts

So you paid him for glue?

·
Registered
167 Posts

Hi, if you don't mind and just so I am clear (I've been following also g and very interested in the outcome thanks). You paid a guy $200 to glue up the fittings, did he say he would warranty it or come back and resolve it if a problem later?

If so, why would you tamper with it? Why not go run some water, use that plunger, and wait & watch it.

I'm no expert and a DIYer myself, but I'm worried you might just make a mess amd make it harder to fix if there's an issue later with that JB weld stuff.

I do know it's great stuff. Used it to repair the rack on my ATV (younger days) and was able to stand right on it after (again, younger days).

Good luck!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So you paid him for glue?
No, we agreed to disagree that it didn’t seem right that he didn’t explicitly state that was his fix approach was fair, as I sent him many pics and felt it was assumed the repair we expected by going to a professional was cutting and replacing the pipes where the problem was.

with that said @romeojk27 this is why I came back here asking for additional advice bc we will tackle the gluing ourselves. Will have to wait until after the weekend to maximize the driest pipe as possible. I think going to just go with the purple stuff & cement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see. Yeah, I would feel totally ripped off to pay someone to professionally do that. And, if this guy was a plumber, I would wonder why he'd think someone should pay him $200-$300 to do they diy type fix. Anyway, glad you were able to get out of it.

The glue/epoxy fix should work right at the joint area. I did that for a area in a somewhat tight space too and leak was gone for a while but due to pressure on the pipe due to the sewer constantly backing up, I finally has to cut it.

For drain joint leaks like this, I'm also curious if these self fusing tape will work too.

Self Fusing Silicone Tape - 1" 10' Black Waterproof Non Adhensive Removable Self Fusing Silicone Tape for Air Hose Repair,PVC Pipe Repair,Leak Seal,Rescue,Wire Insulation(Pack of 1 Piece) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2RBHQW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XQ3DRKJXVXTMZP89NK57

No, we agreed to disagree that it didn’t seem right that he didn’t explicitly state that was his fix approach was fair, as I sent him many pics and felt it was assumed the repair we expected by going to a professional was cutting and replacing the pipes where the problem was.

with that said @romeojk27 this is why I came back here asking for additional advice bc we will tackle the gluing ourselves. Will have to wait until after the weekend to maximize the driest pipe as possible. I think going to just go with the purple stuff & cement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Obviously the pipes were never glued together when they were installed. All they did was apply the purple prep. His brain was somewhere else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking back at the picture, maybe I see a little glue? After you apply glue, you are supposed to rotate one of the pipes 45 degrees to make sure the glue is spread evenly. It’s not hard to put together and glue 2 PVC pipes together, with no pressure, and have a leak. You should go after the plumber that originally screwed this up.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts