1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Rectangle Wall Floor Material property
Wood Flooring Insect Ceiling Hardwood
Wood Line Electrical wiring Tints and shades Paint

Hi. Ok - here it goes…I opened up the ceiling to find a million wires, tubes, pipes. At first made quick assessment that it was coming from the only black foam covered pipe…but then ran the water and saw drips coming from above. It’s so jam packed, can’t fully/easily expose the pipe I think it’s coming from. I believe it’s the large white PVC 3” pipe that’s at the top. I saw a few drops and thought it was from the seam/joint but tried to squeeze my hand up there and I feel moisture from on top and also feel a “fork” In the pipe where I think it branches off.

i believe this pipe feed the kitchen.

Any tips on next steps or am I way in over my head and need to pay to get a professional.
Shelf Wood Publication Font Bookcase

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re not over your head ... you just have difficult access. Start by removing a bigger area of drywall on the bottom and side.
Love the vote of confidence. Thought to get on top by cutting through the side wall, only to discover it’s completely blocked by plywood sheet. So only access is from under. Will keep cutting away and try to get more access.

·
retired framer
63,577 Posts
Open the side leave 3 inches at the top and bottom but make it wide enough to work in. Like 3 ft wide, centered on that fitting.
Automotive design Wood Rectangle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
retired framer
63,577 Posts
Love the vote of confidence. Thought to get on top by cutting through the side wall, only to discover it’s completely blocked by plywood sheet. So only access is from under. Will keep cutting away and try to get more access.
Use a circular saw with the blade set to 1 1/16" deep and see my last post.
This is what you have.
Wood Wood stain Floor Flooring Beam

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Use a circular saw
The first time i ever cut sheetrock, my first house. Washing machine was in the unheated garage, pipes froze our first winter. Bought a piece of sheetrock to patch the hole and cut it with a circ saw. Holy crap batman! Filled the garage with white powder in about 2 seconds.

Several passes with a sharp utility knife. Or an oscillating saw. Or a keyhole saw. But not a circ saw.

·
retired framer
63,577 Posts
The first time i ever cut sheetrock, my first house. Washing machine was in the unheated garage, pipes froze our first winter. Bought a piece of sheetrock to patch the hole and cut it with a circ saw. Holy crap batman! Filled the garage with white powder in about 2 seconds.

Several passes with a sharp utility knife. Or an oscillating saw. Or a keyhole saw. But not a circ saw.
Sure if you know there is nothing that that handy little saw can reach. (y) (y) (y)
Cutting the plywood should be fun with a keyhole saw.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You sure cutting into & removing all that plywood won’t compromise the structure of the house? (Sorry - have to ask. These are the things I think about!)

…and I only have a reciprocating saw, or jigsaw. Are either of these OK? I’m so afraid of accidentally cutting through one of those other wires, tubes…

·
retired framer
63,577 Posts
You sure cutting into & removing all that plywood won’t compromise the structure of the house? (Sorry - have to ask. These are the things I think about!)

…and I only have a reciprocating saw, or jigsaw. Are either of these OK? I’m so afraid of accidentally cutting through one of those other wires, tubes…
There is a 2x4 nailed to the floor joists the plywood is nailed to that and then at the bottom a 2x2 or 2x4 is nailed the the plywood, so the plywood is holding the bottom up. I wouldn't expect a problem but you could build a short temp wall under the bottom edge. That would support it if you were leaning on it to work on the pipe way inside.
Yellow Line Electricity Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Make sure all the wires and plumbing are moved away from the inside of the soffit plywood prior to cutting into it.
Use anything, wood blocking etc as a spacer between the wires and plywood from install thru the access hole you made in the bottom.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think there's any plywood on the bottom of the chase.
Yes. Only plywood on the side. Had trouble understanding Eddie’s drawing but I think he’s spot on.
Brown Rectangle Window Wood Wall

after cutting through the plywood, does it need to be replaced after the leak is fixed and when closing the wall back up?

I got the phone up inside to try to see more. This is that branch from that main pipe I mentioned.

Light Automotive tire Wood Font Line

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Seems odd to me (not a plumber) that the leak would be at that joint/fitting where the top pipe feeds into the main.
Even if it was a bad glue job, it would have to back up about 3" to leak out of that joint.

I would wrap tissue paper at each glue joint to see which got wet, to verify the location of the actual leak.

Reactions: raylo32

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
Try feeling up higher on the wet pipe and see if it's dry farther up. Make sure it's not just running down and dripping off the joint you suspect.

Reactions: raylo32
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.