DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife runs a commercial commissary for her catering business. The town requires us to have an RPZ installed by code. It's been in place for 5 years now.

This morning she came in to ~2 qts. of water on the floor. Water is occasionally dripping from the bottom of the unit. (2nd photo - coming from the round opening with the white plastic insert)

Is this an indication of failure of the unit, or could it indicate another prolem, like too much pressure on one side?

Wood Shelf Shelving Art Hardwood

Wood Artifact Art Metal Cylinder

·
Super Moderator
6,948 Posts
Is it leaking from the threads with the pipe tape on them or from the plastic piece?

Nothing leaking on to the valve from above is there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it leaking from the threads with the pipe tape on them or from the plastic piece?

Nothing leaking on to the valve from above is there?
Drips are definitely coming out of that round opening on the bottom. The body is dry and all the sealed joints are OK.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
That is the water outlet. When that leaks you usually have a problem internally at one of the check valves. I suggest you call whoever does the annual test on the device and ask them to repair it. You do do annual testing right?
BTW, they make an air gap fitting for that outlet. It attaches to the bottom of the unit and allows you run a drain line to a floor drain, floor sink or outside instead of dumping on the floor

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the water outlet. When that leaks you usually have a problem internally at one of the check valves. I suggest you call whoever does the annual test on the device and ask them to repair it. You do do annual testing right?
BTW, they make an air gap fitting for that outlet. It attaches to the bottom of the unit and allows you run a drain line to a floor drain, floor sink or outside instead of dumping on the floor

Thank you!

This has never been tested. Lots of annual and bi-annual tests and inspections for this facility and it's equipment, but this is not one I was aware of. The person who installed it has since retired, but I'll see if the plumber who's done work at my home can assist.

Appreciate the heads up on the air gap fitting as well. There's a floor drain about 18" away that I can have it leak into until it's repaired/replaced.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
Get the model number and Google it for the "airgap assembly". I get testing done for about 50 bucks and it requires a specialty license.
To replace that whole assembly will be north of $250 just parts. Rebuild kit, if needed will be less. Possibly just a flush and cleaning is needed though. Good luck

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
RPZs leak from time to time when they need to be rebuilt. That is a small unit so replacing might be more cost effective than rebuilding. When you get up to 4” and larger rebuilding is cheaper. Our water authority requires back flow preventers in nonresidential occupancies and annual testing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts