DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! The toilet is leaking water from the bottom of the tank (where the pipe/hose connects to and runs to the wall.) The water seems to be coming from the space flush with the bottom of tank and the first bolt thing. Everything seems tight, though, so I am not sure if it is from there or from the inside part.
Before I go buying replacement parts, how do I know which part is damaged - inside the tank at fill valve, or outside bottom?
It's a Fluidmaster 400 series, if that helps. Please help...

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
You can use a paper towel and start wiping in areas and look at the paper towel to see when it gets wet.

What I have found most when there is a leak behind and up from the floor of the toilet is the the seals that go on the tank to bowl mounting bolts wioll fail and leak there. Look at the bottom of the bolts holding the tank in place and see if they are dripping. If they are you need to get a new set as well as a tank gasket for your toilet. There are universal gaskets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, last night it actually was spraying then poured water (after flushing)from that area under tank where the bolts are that connect the hose to the tank. I shut the water valve that's on the wall next to toilet off and it stopped. I just don't know if there's like ( I know I'm not calling them the right thing...) washer/sealing ring type things that need replacing for the bolts or if its the fill valve that needs replacing or is it a seal? How do I determine which part is the one that needs repair?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
Slowly turn the water back on and see where the water is coming from.
If its coming from the area where the bolts are you might have a tank to bowl gasket leaking. But you need to locate the leak before you can make the repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I turned water back on , the tank filled up, ok, nothing, so I flushed and nothing. No major water. A few seconds later I tried again and still everything is normal. Dunno what to think; this is very odd. Last night water poured from the under side of the tank, it took two x-large beach type towels to clean up, and now after a few hours with the water off it is fine.
What do you make of this? Guess I should be thankful it must have been some sort of fluke? Hmmm....
Well, I do thank you so much. I appreciate you responding to my posts.

·
Plumbing Contractor
398 Posts
A complete rebuild kit from the orange box store runs about $20. For that price I wouldnt go trying to replace this piece or that one. Its not that difficult to rebuild the whole thing and I believe the kit comes with step by step instructions. Add in the price of a stainless steel braided hose and you're looking at about $25 with tax.

Good luck and keep us posted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.