DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water leaks out of the clean out box in my basement when it rains.. a purposely left the garden hose on next to the chimney to test it and about 10 minutes later their was a small puddle in my basement so I know it’s not because of the roof or anything.. the problem is bellow grade. I’m currently digging outside and so far the chimney looks fine ( I’m 3-4 feet down ) .., Should I keep digging or or fill the hole with some water and see if it leaks in the basement and if it does I know for sure it’s in that area and I need to keep digging ?
is filled with debris

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Can you give us a bit of background.

Is this a single or two story house with a full basement?
Is it a fireplace or wood stove and do you use it?
What is the approximate age of the house?
How far below grade is the chimney cleanout (and can you confirm how far down you’ve dug)?
Have you not been digging to the right because of access difficulty?
Why is there all that debris inside the cleanout, some of which looks like clay flue liner?
Is the cleanout centred in that 30 inch (?) wide bumpout shown in the photo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1965 1 story Ranch, Full basement, my water tank and furnace is connected to it. No fireplace or anything. The chimney cleanout is 6 feet below grade.. I’ve dug at least 5 feet? I filled the spot ( middle part of the chimney) with some water waited 3 hours and still no leaks in the basement. So maybe it’s the left or the right side that is the problem, I’m not sure why theirs debris but a few feet about the cleanout is where the water tank and furnace connect. See picture .. Not sure what you mean by centered 30 inch.

Can you give us a bit of background.

Is this a single or two story house with a full basement?
Is it a fireplace or wood stove and do you use it?
What is the approximate age of the house?
How far below grade is the chimney cleanout (and can you confirm how far down you’ve dug)?
Have you not been digging to the right because of access difficulty?
Why is there all that debris inside the cleanout, some of which looks like clay flue liner?
Is the cleanout centred in that 30 inch (?) wide bumpout shown in the photo?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thanks for the background. The ground in the photo doesn’t look saturated with water to the point where I would have thought that it would be making its way through the foundation, but you’d need to dig around the right side to confirm that. There are two other possible sources for the water other than the one you’re focused on.
  • Rain running down the chimney.
  • When natural gas is burned, the result is heat, and mostly carbon dioxide and water vapour. Depending on the outdoor temperature and the amount of gas being burned, some of that water vapour will condense into liquid inside a masonry chimney (not so much if there is a stainless steel liner in it). Some of that will end up leaking out at the lowest point. The acidic byproducts of natural gas combustion also damages masonry chimneys. That may be the cause of the debris visible in your first photo. More on that at this link.
Is that an air conditioning unit just to the right of the chimney in that second photo?

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that’s an air conditioner… I’ve had this small leak for eight years now it only leaks when it rains.. A couple years ago I did a test, I left my Garden hose running for 10 minutes next to the chimney and it started leaking in the basement within 10 minutes.

Thanks for the background. The ground in the photo doesn’t look saturated with water to the point where I would have thought that it would be making its way through the foundation, but you’d need to dig around the right side to confirm that. There are two other possible sources for the water other than the one you’re focused on.
  • When natural gas is burned, the result is heat, and mostly carbon dioxide and water vapour. Depending on the outdoor temperature and the amount of gas being burned, some of that water vapour will condense into liquid inside a masonry chimney (not so much if there is a stainless steel liner in it). Some of that will end up leaking out at the lowest point. The acidic byproducts of natural gas combustion also damages masonry chimneys. That may be the cause of the debris visible in your first photo. More on that at this link.
Is that an air conditioning unit just to the right of the chimney in that second photo?

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the crack on the AC side … I patched it up .. we will see !

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts