DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m laying vinyl plank in my basement. Pulled up the carpet remnant and found this hiding underneath. Should I just cut a circular hole in the plank and add a drain over to make it flush with the planks? (It sits about flush with the asbestos tiles I’m covering)

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,137 Posts
I’m laying vinyl plank in my basement. Pulled up the carpet remnant and found this hiding underneath. Should I just cut a circular hole in the plank and add a drain over to make it flush with the planks? (It sits about flush with the asbestos tiles I’m covering)
View attachment 657933

It's a cleanout.

I would frame a square around it, add a cover over it, and plan to place a piece of furniture ( table, couch, other) over it.

That can be moved if it is ever needed to be used.

ED

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,427 Posts
Turn it upside down and screw it in. The square will then be a depression. You'll have to cut a piece of wood (etc.) to mate with the square when you need to remove it.

They do that with PVC cleanouts, irrigationvalve access and drain plugs a lot in florida lawns- that way the lawn mowers don't cut the squares off...

·
Naildriver
16,981 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
It was under the carpet so I assume you haven’t ever accessed it and didn’t know it existed. I would measure exactly where it is and keep track of where it is. Then I would put the new flooring over it. You haven’t needed it yet and probably won’t need it in the future. If you need it, measure it out and cut a hole.
Before you jump on me, I know, I was a code enforcement officer. What works in the DIY world isn’t always a life safety issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a cleanout.

I would frame a square around it, add a cover over it, and plan to place a piece of furniture ( table, couch, other) over it.

That can be moved if it is ever needed to be used.

ED
I think I’m going to try this. Maybe just use a metal vent cover. I can’t think of what else to use. I’ll post a follow up pic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was under the carpet so I assume you haven’t ever accessed it and didn’t know it existed. I would measure exactly where it is and keep track of where it is. Then I would put the new flooring over it. You haven’t needed it yet and probably won’t need it in the future. If you need it, measure it out and cut a hole.
Before you jump on me, I know, I was a code enforcement officer. What works in the DIY world isn’t always a life safety issue.
We haven’t needed it for a decade, but you know the moment I cover it I’ll need it the next day lol

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Reactions: de-nagorg
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.