DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halloo!

Am getting set to lay some sheet vinyl over existing sheet vinyl and I don't want the embossed pattern of the old flooring to transfer through to the new.

Old is laid on concrete.

Need an embossing filler... should I just use a cementitious self leveler (troweled thinly) or do you know of a better product?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you not removing the old vinyl?

No need. Old vinyl is sound. Client only desires a color change. The effort and mess or removal is unecessary.

I've laid plenty of new vinyl, but this will be a first over old. On a few other jobs where I've been a sub for other tasks, I've seen flooring contractors spread an "embossing filler" over old vinyl but never inquired what they were using.

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
Years ago when they had the grey paper back, I would just remove the top and leave the paper that was glued down and go over that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link to Home Depot/ Roberts product. I know I had seen this at HD, but they no longer carry it. That fracking place has ruined the supply house industry since their only focus is sku velocity. If an item doesn't sell like hot-cakes it gets jettisoned. Thing is, since they now dominate the industry, items which are sometimes necessary become difficult to find.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Have decided to use Henry's 546 (additive) and 547 (leveler/embossing filler, non sanded)

Thanks for the help, y'all. It jogged my memory in the right direction. Can't understand why these products didn't show up the first time I searched fro an embossing leveler. A trip to Henry's website confirmed use as EL over sheet goods with the additive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts