DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got a bathroom that I'm putting in 12" sq. tiles. The room is 74" x 60" - and the 12" tiles measure 17" on the diagonal. What is the proper way to diagonally place the tiles along the 60" side? Allowing for the base moldings I can start on the left side wall and lay three full tiles plus 1/2 tile on the diagonal to exactly fill out the 60". On the next row I would start on the right side with a full tile and the 1/2 diagonal tile would be ont he left side.

OR should I exactly center the diagonal tiles - that will give me three full tiles centered and two 1/4 tiles on each side. Would the eye follow the rows left to right and see that there is a full diagonal tile on one side and 1/2 tile on the opposite wall?

How would you pros lay this out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't over-think this.

In simple terms...
I would draw two center lines bisecting the room each way. Then lay the tile corners (points) according to those lines. Fill to the walls from the center.:)
Thank you. I didn't want to "overthink it" but laying three and 1/2 tiles wide seemed to be more desireable than using the two smaller 1/4 tiles to fill out the 60". Seems I'd read to always avoid using tiles smaller than 1/2 size.

·
Registered
110 Posts
old post, but i like the advice Bud Cline. laid out my bathroom floor tile dry using your simple method and almost every cut tile along the edge is the same size and it will look awesome. was going nuts trying to use only half tiles around the edge but it doesnt work out well that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.