DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Looks like a very nice project - very doable. A google found this concrete calculator that I think will answer you question. http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

I see the referenced article recommends 6" thickness and fiberglass reinforced concrete. I would agree with the 6" thinkness - this would ensure the slab would handle the weight of the BBQ and last well. I have no experience with the fiberglass reinforced concrete - I would put in wire mesh myself. I imagine someone will come along and be able to speak to the fiberglass reinforced concrete.

You might want to consider readymix concrete rather than bags. Several sources now for self-tow setups suiteable for smaller projects. You would come out with a better and stronger concrete mix and less work.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
for 13 - 140 bags of apron store conc mix ? ? ? f/g reinforc'd is ok but we'd use wire mesh 'cause its on hand,,, try polypropylene or polyesther fibers instead.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
understood from above,,, iirc, ea bag of conc mix yields .67cu ft or, roughly, 13bags of apron store stuff :yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts