DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
C4rL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I layed sod two days ago, put down top soil before, and have been watering 4 times a day for about 20 minutes, it gets plenty of water due to good sprinkler coverage. One patch of sod is completely brown and crunch within the two days! I'm panicing b/c i paid so much. Its about 100 degrees already in Las Vegas, should I just relax and let the sod do its thing? Will the grass grow together and repair the bad patch?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
A lot depends on how fresh the sod was when you got it. If it sat bundled for long it may have been done in before you even rolled it out. If this happened you may have issues with the sod farm, nursery or contractor from whom you bought it and arranged installation.

Remember that what you have for the time being is a 2" or so thick matte of spongy plant transplant material. If you did not roll it into your soil surface for firm contact you could actually be overwatering it. Best thing you can do for now is to keep it evenly moist with the goal of blending the sod layer with the top soil. You may have to dig out the bad spots and either resod or overseed after the heat of summer has passed. Growing a new lawn of any type---seed or sod---is tough when it is 100 or more outside.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I layed sod two days ago, put down top soil before, and have been watering 4 times a day for about 20 minutes, it gets plenty of water due to good sprinkler coverage. One patch of sod is completely brown and crunch within the two days! I'm panicing b/c i paid so much. Its about 100 degrees already in Las Vegas, should I just relax and let the sod do its thing? Will the grass grow together and repair the bad patch?
Don't most people who live in LV have rock gardens?

If you insist on having grass, it also depends on what type you put down.

Beside top soil, did you put down soil conditioner? Top soil doesn't have much nutrients.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.