DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DIY Veteran
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's happening to my lawn? I live in northern Illinois and I put down grub-x last april then again about 6ish weeks ago. Grass keeps dying in spot and is slowly spreading.
Here's some pics.
Plant community Ecoregion Plant Road surface Bedrock

Plant Groundcover Grassland Terrestrial plant Road surface

Plant Asphalt Road surface Groundcover Landscape

·
DIY Veteran
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is some other type of bug that kills grass. A year or so ago they were talking about it on the radio and Bill Murray in the movie caddyshack mentioned it they said on the radio. He was the grounds keeper for the golf course.
I was wondering if that might be it since I put down a healthy dose of grub-x and I've been watering it. Most of the time in the summer the grass will turn brown from lack of rain and at first I thought that was it but not spotty and blotchy like it is now.
There's obviously a problem and I don't want to have to reseed the whole yard by next spring.

·
Naildriver
19,964 Posts
Caddyshack was groundhogs, and you'd KNOW if they were around. Maybe your local county Extension service could be of help.

·
DIY Veteran
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the soil have a white tint to it? Or is that just the camera and lighting?

Here in Central NY we have a had a lot of rain in the last few weeks. If you have too it could be disease of some sort.
No not too much rain and not white.
I've had a beautiful lawn for years and now this in just a couple months.
I fertilize every spring with crab grass preventer and grub-x.
Like to get the yard growing nice before the hot/dry summer months July/August.

·
Registered
11,303 Posts
A lot of the damage from grubs is often not so much the dead grass, but rather the damage from critters digging up the lawn trying to get at the grubs (as food).

As mentioned in post 2, the test for grubs involves a shovel.

·
Collector of tools
186 Posts
Are these circled areas critter holes? And have you taken a shovel and turned over the soil in a few spots to see if you have grubs? My theory would be that you have grubs and that those holes are from critters that are eating the grubs.

Plant community Ecoregion Plant Grass Organism

·
DIY Veteran
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are these circled areas critter holes? And have you taken a shovel and turned over the soil in a few spots to see if you have grubs? My theory would be that you have grubs and that those holes are from critters that are eating the grubs.

View attachment 712641
No squirrels this time of year are digging holes. I watched one last week bury a cherry tomato from my garden, the SOB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts