DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

In the last year, i have been trying to get my house in the woods to have a lawn. Last spring, we cut down 3 large dead black cherry trees from the front yard. Once we completely dug out the root system (unreal amount of work!), i got 2 truckloads of topsoil to back fill in the yard. Graded as best i could (didn't do a good job), and now, after a year, it has settled and there is a noticeable drop off and some unevenness to the yard where we dug the trees out. See photo. The area impacted is probably 16'x25'. Already planted grass seed last year.

I would like to get more soil into that general area, so that it looks smooth. Problem i am facing is that the "drop off" is between 1 to 3" in some areas. Most videos i have seen online, shows very small amount of soil or sand being used to level out a lawn. I am aiming to level it out, without burying all the grass i planted last year.

Should i bite the bullet, drop in another few inches of soil all at once, and replant all new grass? Or should i try to slowly fill it back in over time?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance! :wink2:

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
There are certain grasses that can't be destroyed by too much soil cover. Those with rhizomes is an example. I'd consider visiting with the county extension service for advice about the grass cultivar you have. They are usually very helpful.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
The only way to avoid burying some grass and scalping other grass is to slice off the layer of grass as in doing the inverse of laying sod. Then put it back when you are done leveling what is underneath.

Do not use sand to level the surface. Use soil so the grass can regrow.

Also, trees cannot survive any significant changing including raising of the level of the ground surface. I once saw a homeowner trying to convert a sloped section of y ard into a flat area (and add a retaining wall at what used to be the low side). All of the trees in that section had to be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts