DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some help with our back lawn. We have two large dogs and as you can see from the attached photos our law looks awful. We believe it is definitely our dogs urine that is killing the grass as well as some lack of sunlight I would assume but I don't know how much effect that would have. One photo is from the side of the house and the other is from the back porch.

Also, when we first moved in and noticed the issue we bought some Scott's grow in shade grass seed, followed the directions, and watered it well. However, it was to no avail. Two years later, I am coming to you for expert advice and hopefully, help. We are definitely willing to try a different product if you guys can really vouch it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
dog piss kills grass

boil some tea bags. let tea cool, then pour it in a sprayer, and spray these spots every evening after you plant new grass seed, and that should fix it. the tea will neutralize that pesky dog piss!:thumbup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm no expert, but I did deal with a similar situation this spring, with good results. We purchased the home last summer, and the previous owner had 3 dogs that liked to pee out back in a 20x10 ft area at the base of the deck steps. When we moved in, this area was bare of grass, except for a random clump here or there, and the soil was hard as a rock. I had the soil tested locally to see what I was dealing with. I ended up tilling the 10x20 area, put down some Scott's fertilizer and some lime and worked it in lightly with a garden rake as I leveled the area out. I then spread some Scott's Sun&Shade mixture seed. Just a light raking again to give the seeds a little soil coverage (the seed ended up in the top 1/8-1/4" of soil). I covered the area in burlap with the corners tacked down with metal tent stakes. Watered it twice each day for about 2 weeks. By the end of 2 weeks I took the burlap off as the grass was now protruding through it by about 1" (had to be real careful not to pull the grass out but it didn't seem to be a problem). Grass looks great now, I wish the rest of my lawn looked so good. I plan overseeding this fall just to make sure it fills out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts