DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the plaster and lath on my 1912 house, so I can install insulation and drywall. When I remove the lath will I lose any lateral racking strength?

·
Registered
586 Posts
are you telling me their is nothing behind your lath.It cant have been nailed to just the studs and plastered on top.Whats behind it??????

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
The new drywall will serve the same purpose.

·
6,520 Posts
The lath might add a little rigidity to the walls and floor/ceiling framing, but it is insignificant. The proper installation and fastening of sheetrock will easily accomplish the same thing. I can tell you that the lath is not considered a structural element of the house.

·
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
7,556 Posts
In the majority of such remodeling projects (where you have old style plaster and lathing), the best approach to updating the walls is to: Remove the lathing and old plaster, Then, install re-usable lathing, or purchase new lathing, vertically over the existing studs.

When you install your sheetrock (often using 52" Wide sheetrock)....The added lathing strips brings the finished wall surfaces back out to match the existing window and door casings widths (unless all of those are being replaced).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts