DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We just moved into a new house and started painting. I painted all of the trim with a latex paint not even thinking that the trim could have been painted earlier with a oil based paint. The paint now scratches off easily. Is there anyway to fix this without sanding, stripping, or pealing the paint off? Would it work if I wiped on several coats of Poly??

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Hi, We just moved into a new house and started painting. I painted all of the trim with a latex paint not even thinking that the trim could have been painted earlier with a oil based paint. The paint now scratches off easily. Is there anyway to fix this without sanding, stripping, or pealing the paint off? Would it work if I wiped on several coats of Poly??[/QUOTE]

no and no:(

Do you know for a fact that the original was oil?
Or are you scratching it off before it has cured for 30 days?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found anoil based paint can in the basement just a bit ago...that was labeled doors.... it looks the same as the trim color so I am guessing it is.

I have not waited 30 days....only 4 days. Shall I wait longer and see what happens ?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
While it surface dries in an hour or less, waterbased semi-gloss, satin or whatever takes 30 days to fully cure and harden.

That said though. Did you clean and scruff the surface you were painting so the paint had something to grip to?

For the rest of the job, if it is a high gloss oil enamel or something, you should probably use a bonding primer/underlay like Zinsser 123 (or 123+ if you have stains to block) or a solvent based alkyd primer first. Before high bond waterbased primers, alkyds were the great equalizers and problem solvers. They stick to near anything and you can put near any finish over them. Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start was a fave. Sherwin Williams actually sells a great underlay product but you would have to ask for it.

You do need to make sure the surfaces you are priming and painting are very clean---use tsp for this---and scruffing it up with fine grit paper will certainly not hurt.

And the direct answer to your question is that you cannot fix paint adhesion problems with a new top layer thinking it will work down and stick or something. Sorry. Hopefully you did not do too much and it sounds like it is peeling off fairly easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts