DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cape and I'm reinsulating one of the upstairs bedrooms. I used 2" XPS to create air baffles and used 3/4" XPS strips over the roof rafters to reduce thermal bridging. I'm filling the remaining space with R15 Roxul then covering with Certainteed Membrain as a vapor barrier and lastly airtight drywall. My issue is I'm going to have a large gap, about 1.75 inches, in the knee wall where the roof rafters meet the top plate. I highlighted the gap with a red box. What's the best way to deal with this so I can have airtight drywall? It doesn't have to look pretty since it's in the knee wall portion. The two options I thought of are cutting strips of wood to furr out the top plate. My fear with this is splitting the wood when I screw it in. The other idea was cutting more XPS foam to fill the space. The problem with that is I'll have to cover it with drywall for a thermal barrier (a big pain since I'll be screwing it in from below... talk about awkward position!).

Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
The two options I thought of are cutting strips of wood to furr out the top plate. My fear with this is splitting the wood when I screw it in.

Pre drill the furring strips to avoid splitting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pre drill the furring strips to avoid splitting.
That's exactly what I did. I also put Lexel caulk on the back to help prevent small gaps when the wood expands/contracts. That, combined with a bead of Great Stuff Pro on the top, should keep the furring strips air tight.

Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts