DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a VERY Large deck, that I'm going to be replacing the deck boards on. This deck goes around a large pool, so there are some very long sections, 40-60 feet long... The plan is to use Pressure Treated.. Was thinking though, instead of putting the deck boards down and butting them up to each other, What if I used a Box Joint on each one to join them together? Would that prevent lifting and separation in the future? I know it's a lot of work, but wouldn't it look better, more like one large 40-60 foot length of wood?
Is there any downsides I might not be thinking about? besides taking a while longer? (I'm sure a well made Jig will help a lot though)

Thanks

·
retired framer
44,644 Posts
Hello,
I have a VERY Large deck, that I'm going to be replacing the deck boards on. This deck goes around a large pool, so there are some very long sections, 40-60 feet long... The plan is to use Pressure Treated.. Was thinking though, instead of putting the deck boards down and butting them up to each other, What if I used a Box Joint on each one to join them together? Would that prevent lifting and separation in the future? I know it's a lot of work, but wouldn't it look better, more like one large 40-60 foot length of wood?
Is there any downsides I might not be thinking about? besides taking a while longer? (I'm sure a well made Jig will help a lot though)

Thanks
Would the joint be over the joist, would that limit the position of screws, what kind of glue would you use. they make router bits for that , not sure that would stand up to weather.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Thats a very ambitious and unusual idea. If you really think you need continuous beams, you can possibly order LVL’s in those lengths ... 40 feet anyway ... but transportation costs will be a bit high.
Why not just lap the boards over a beam like is typically done?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a very ambitious and unusual idea. If you really think you need continuous beams, you can possibly order LVL’s in those lengths ... 40 feet anyway ... but transportation costs will be a bit high.
Why not just lap the boards over a beam like is typically done?
Hello,

thanks for the Reply, My Thought though isn't for the Beams, but the Deck Top itself... The longest Pressure Treated Deck board I can order is 16 foot... Currently my Deck top is in rough shape, and needs to be replaced. One thing I've noticed on other decks, etc. is that all Deck Top Boards are normally just butted up against each other for the longer runs (Longer then 16 foot), but after time you end up with separation, and gaps, then uneven boards, etc. I thought if I cut some large finger joints to join the multiple boards together, it would produce a cleaner finished product...??? I also thought of after putting the joints together with the standard glue, etc. I could drill through the side a small diameter hole, the size of a wooden dowel, then insert and glue the wooden dowel to further prevent the joint from pulling apart...???

Thanks,

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,438 Posts
Hello,

thanks for the Reply, My Thought though isn't for the Beams, but the Deck Top itself... The longest Pressure Treated Deck board I can order is 16 foot... Currently my Deck top is in rough shape, and needs to be replaced. One thing I've noticed on other decks, etc. is that all Deck Top Boards are normally just butted up against each other for the longer runs (Longer then 16 foot), but after time you end up with separation, and gaps, then uneven boards, etc. I thought if I cut some large finger joints to join the multiple boards together, it would produce a cleaner finished product...??? I also thought of after putting the joints together with the standard glue, etc. I could drill through the side a small diameter hole, the size of a wooden dowel, then insert and glue the wooden dowel to further prevent the joint from pulling apart...???

Thanks,

Consider Trex composite.

At one time they told me that I could order the decking in any length that I wanted.

Yes it costs plenty per foot, but will outlast any wood that you can get , unless you go epai for decking.
And is virtually maintenance free, a simple washing yearly, and you are done, to be swimming instead of deck maintenance.

And splinter free, I hate splintery deck boards on bare feet.

ED

·
General contractor/carpen
14,655 Posts
Composites come in 12' 16' and 20' only.

We never use butt joints regardless of the length. We use what we call a seam board or two depending on the deck length. Also I don't see why it couldn't be used on a wood deck.

Mike.
___

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,438 Posts
Composites come in 12' 16' and 20' only.

We never use butt joints regardless of the length. We use what we call a seam board or two depending on the deck length. Also I don't see why it couldn't be used on a wood deck.

Mike.
___

Nice deck you built.

20 + years ago the local distributor told me that he could get Trex up to 60 feet long, that was as long as a Truck could haul, without hanging off the float.

But, I figure that in modern days, 20' is as long as it is sold.

Still it is a much better deal than butt jointed wood, that can and will cup and pose trip hazards.

ED

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Use a biscuit joiner or router with the correct size bit, and plastic biscuits if you insist. Or break up the long runs with seam boards.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Consider Trex composite.

At one time they told me that I could order the decking in any length that I wanted.

Yes it costs plenty per foot, but will outlast any wood that you can get , unless you go epai for decking.
And is virtually maintenance free, a simple washing yearly, and you are done, to be swimming instead of deck maintenance.

And splinter free, I hate splintery deck boards on bare feet.

ED
It is also hotter than all hell if in the direct sun, even here in New England. Careful walking.

·
14,655 Posts
It's not uncommon to have a pool near decks we build and most people just throw water on it.

With that said, unless they are swimming, people around here use their deck morso in the winter when temps are consistently in the 70's.

Mike.
___

·
retired framer
44,644 Posts
I like Mikes idea of the divider every so many feet.
The problem with the wood joining over the joist is the screws are very close to the end of the board. You could add a nailer to the side of the joist so the end of both boards have a full 1 1/2" to screw to.

·
retired framer
44,644 Posts
It's not uncommon to have a pool near decks we build and most people just throw water on it.

With that said, unless they are swimming, people around here use their deck morso in the winter when temps are consistently in the 70's.

Mike.
___
Do you have a picture of the framing you do for the divider, do you still get good drainage around them?

·
14,655 Posts
Great, that is exactly how I pictured it.

And I'm far from a pro, just a highly accomplished DIYER.

Redwood framing lumber?

ED
.40 ACQ pressure treated. The stuff I get comes brown tone. It blends better with landscape if you are able to see any of it.

Mike.
___

1 - 18 of 18 Posts