DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to connect this lighting fixture to a plug.

I have a plug switch and wire setup (SPT-1 wire and polarized plug 18AWG). Is it possible to connect it to the lighting fixture, and if so is there a way around the black and white wire need to be?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
You can do as you ask, the question is what are you trying to accomplish? That fixture is meant to be mounted in a weatherproof box with connections to power inside the box. It is not intended to be connected to (in essence) a lamp cord.
Safety first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Safety first indeed, which is why I am seeking advice.
I have this fixture spare and some lamp cord and I would like to make a lamp from concrete so would cast this part into it. Would you suggest it is not a good idea to do this? I would of course insulate the connections.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Safety first indeed, which is why I am seeking advice.
I have this fixture spare and some lamp cord and I would like to make a lamp from concrete so would cast this part into it. Would you suggest it is not a good idea to do this? I would of course insulate the connections.
That definitely should not be cast directly into concrete. There's no way to safely make the connections if you do that. Why not cast a proper electrical box into the concrete, and mount the fixture on it like normal?

·
Usually Confused
7,782 Posts
All electrical connections need to be in an accessible approved box. I suppose you could connect new one-piece lamp cord directly to the fixture connections then connect the male threaded fitting directly to a corresponding threaded fixture on the end of some conduit (to be encased in concrete), but that would negate any UL certification for the fixture and I don't know the rules for making a weather-tight conduit connection. Others no doubt do. Assuming your project is intended to be used outside.

Perhaps using a low-voltage lamp would make the project easier but I'll have to leave it to others to outline the rules for them.

To your original question, the wider blade of a polarized plug connects to the white (neutral) conductor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you mpoulton and lenaitch, I appreciate your input and I will seek a safer and more reliable way to complete the project. Good to get the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts