DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wanted to brighten up my relatively dim bathroom and thought to put up a vanity light bar.

That particular vanity bar is meant to be hard-wired, but I don't have the tools, knowledge, or permission (I'm a renter) to do that. So I thought it would be easier to buy a lamp cord with a switch and plug it in to an outlet on the wall. I went ahead and connected everything and it works great with the lamp cord. But there is a ground wire coming out of the back of the vanity bar that I don't know what to connect to. Also, is it safe to connect it via a lamp cord even if it's meant to be hard-wired? I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it shorting out or causing a fire.

I plan to mount it either to the wall with screws and drywall anchor or to the mirror with adhesive hooks.

I have attached a photo of the wiring; note the bare ground wire. What to do with that?

I have also attached a photo of the wall where I would mount it or the upper part of that mirror, in case the wiring somehow affects how it can be mounted.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'm very new to electrical DIY.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Since you are a renter you need to contact the landlord.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That setup is a fire hazard. It violates the NEC and the lights UL listing. Call up your landlord and tell them you already bought the lamp and need an electrician to run the wiring. If they refuse offer to pay for it if you are willing.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
1 - if it did not have a cord on it
When you bought it ? You cannot
Fit one, or it will not meet code.
2 - It needs an earth, lamp cord
Does not support this.
3 - Code wise flexable cord is NOT
An acceptable substitute for
Proper electrical cable.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'll add to jump-start and ask what you need more light for? You can get task lights that are cord and plug that can be wall mounted (sconce).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Use a three prong cord, attach the ground wire to the green wire from the cord. You can use a three-prong plug in switch to operate it, if you can't find a proper in-line switch.

I'm assuming the back of the fixture where you have the wirenuts is just open? The cord needs a strain relief; the side of the fixture looks big enough to drill a 7/8" (1/2" trade size) hole in it and attach a cord connector. Then get a sheet of thin plastic (a for sale sign cut up would probably work) and tape it over the back. Tape the wires to it so they can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not trying to be mean, bad electrical work can lead to fires, death, law suits...

Do it right the first time.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll add to jump-start and ask what you need more light for? You can get task lights that are cord and plug that can be wall mounted (sconce).
That was my original idea but thought the task lights looked kind of boring. I thought the vanity bar had some aesthetic appeal, so my goal was to use that just like the wall-mounted task lights with cords.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. My big concern was whether the wiring would be a fire/safety risk. I will likely disassemble it and go with off-the-shelf task lights or fluorescent bars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts