DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
There is a new flooring business that has opened recently in Philadelphia called Avalon. I think their molding prices are way out of line as compared to the $3.99 per square foot cost of the laminate flooring. However, I did place an order for what "Armstrong" calls "Baby Threshold" to go between my carpet and the flooring. This adapter cost $48.00 and I needed 68 inches of it. I paid this because the salesperson says it will closly match my flooring. But when I checked the price on another molding called "Over The Top Step Nose" which the salesman say comes in about 72 inch plus length, the price was around $70.00. This is the molding one uses for the first piece at the top of a staircase. I did not order it. I think I may have to purchase a unstained piece and try to match the color. Your thoughts on molding costs?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Avalon is not new, but that may be a new store, and they do seem to be a bit on the pricey side. As a remodeler, and long time DIY, I would prefer to do my own molding whenever I can. Prefinished molding, unless for a specific product rarely matches what it needs to match. You may have to experiment with stains, but you can probably do a better job.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Pre finished molding have always been pricey. Whether in flooring or to match cabinets in a kitchen. Spending $1500-2000 on molding for a $11,000. kitchen order is not surprising.
Ron

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Both,
I might have to go for that pricy "Stepnose" as I lack the expertise and experience to make my own moldings. I did find something at Home Depot to use as a stepnose, but it does not feel comfortable underfoot as I take my shoes off when at home. When that baby threshold order comes in, then I'll know for sure if I want to go for the the pricy stepnose. However, I did find it strange that "Avalon" did not carry alternative non factory finished moldings that I could stain myself.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sounds like a normal price for laminate moldings....maybe a tad high for the lower 48 but no way out of line.
Solid wood may save you money....possibly....

not much

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
"However, I did find it strange that "Avalon" did not carry alternative non factory finished moldings that I could stain myself. "

Lumber yards and big box stores give you that alternative.
It's the moldings they make the most money on. Same with ceramic tile. Field tile is less money then the bullnose. Doing a job now where the 6x6" field tile was $5.00 a sq ft. The 6x6 bullnose were $8.50 a piece. We needed 70.
Ron

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's the moldings they make the most money on.

Maybe some of the cost is also to recoup the $.89 a sq/foot price everyone keeps demanding on the field tile and planks....pretty competitive market out there...
It's funny...people demand action when something goes wrong with the floor, but they consistantly make companies sell at low margins...barely making money....
I am not pointing my finger at you...just venting I guess...

Try seeing how a lam transition, or solid hardwood, or bullnose is made compared to the planks or field tile.
There is a higher cost to the manufacturing....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a 4 in 1 moulding at Lowe's with just enough color to match my laminate that will work. This part will be installed on the cut end and will be the dress up piece on the stairway landing leading down into the basement. In that area, I do not have to be concerned about an exact color match. In other areas, I would have to. The part only cost $27.00 compared to $70.00 for an exact or close match for an over the top step nose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts