DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm planning on fitting laminate flooring on this old house (sorry for the mess, I can't be bothered to clean or tidy up before renovating it :sad:).
I need to fit laminate boards that are about 8mm thick plus a 1 mm underlay.

No problem in the other room, but one the pictured landing, the base of the railings is level with the old flooring. Don't be deceived by that cloth flooring on the photos, it's a cloth less than 1 mm thick, not thick carpet.

How to go about it? Any suggestions welcome as I have no idea on how to do it :vs_whistle:. With photos or links to photos or videos if possible.

Thanks a lot

Pedro

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I would make a small transition molding to lip over the edge of the laminate and also lip over the edge of the base plate for the bannister. Just did this on a job recently. Can easily made on a table saw. This particular job had the transition moldings that come from the laminate manufacturers. They're particle board and aren't made to sit flat on two different height surfaces. I made these ones out of white oak. In the pic they are stained, but the clear finish was not on yet. I don't know why this software turns the pics upside down when it wants too, but I think you get the idea.
Mike Hawkins

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
That's very interesting. I hadn't considered altering a moulding. Thanks
Ps: any pics of the final fitting?
Here's a pic. I didn't do the floor. This was a house that was being remodeled to resell. I was hired to frame an addition to it and reside the whole exterior, install new interior doors and all interior trim, and tile the bathroom and laundry room floors. This laminate flooring was in the house and they'd wanted to save it.
Mike Hawkins

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I made mine out of pices of 3/4" x 1 1/2" scraps I had lying around. Four cuts on the table saw made the notched out areas. Used a small router with an 1/8" roundover bit for the top edges. Only took about 20 minutes. I don't particularly care for the ones that the laminate companies put out. I hate particulate board.
Mike Hawkins

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
I made mine out of pices of 3/4" x 1 1/2" scraps I had lying around. Four cuts on the table saw made the notched out areas. Used a small router with an 1/8" roundover bit for the top edges. Only took about 20 minutes. I don't particularly care for the ones that the laminate companies put out. I hate particulate board.
Mike Hawkins
I'm with you on that particle board trim. Total waste of time and resources. I opted for unfinished oak molding and matched the stain to the floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.