DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We built a new upstairs bath 8 months ago. When the hot water tap at the sink is opened we get a knocking sound from behind a wall across from the sink. There are no supply lines in that area, only the vent pipe. After closing the tap the sound continues for about 30 seconds. However if I flush the toilet which is located next to this wall, the noise stops. The plumber added an extra vent across the room for the washer. The supply lines are plastic. The plumber is one of the best in the area and I trust his work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We built a new upstairs bath 8 months ago. When the hot water tap at the sink is opened we get a knocking sound from behind a wall across from the sink. There are no supply lines in that area, only the vent pipe. After closing the tap the sound continues for about 30 seconds. However if I flush the toilet which is located next to this wall, the noise stops. The plumber added an extra vent across the room for the washer. The supply lines are plastic. The plumber is one of the best in the area and I trust his work.
Call him and tell him you may have a water hammer problum. If he is good than he will know what to do. I won't go into what that is

·
Registered
428 Posts
To me, it sounds like thermal expansion/contraction of the plastic pipe in the wall (since it only happens when the hot water is venting).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knocking pipes

The sound comes from an area where there are no supply pipes, just a vent pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts