DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Kitchen sink plumbing drain 15-20 degree metal pipe, plastic replacement or new metal?

279 12
The kitchen sink had a puddle of water under in the cabinet area. I found out the one piece that was metal was rotten thru the bottom side and leaking on the drain. The rest of the piping is plastic.

Can anyone tell me what exact replacement part fits this and if theres a plastic version or replacement metal would prefer plastic with the clear beveled seals but there may be only one replacement and cany anyone identify the size im guessing most kitchen sinks are the same size. If anyone can find the direct replacement part from lowes or home depot that would help me alot.

Thanks for the help guys got alot of diy help from the forum for hvac and other sink plumbing.

The house is from 1980 so not sure if that is an old original metal plumbing but the rest looks to be updated plastic unless they still use metal for that piping.

Please let me know need to fix asap. Looks to be a universal or common part of the sink plumbing?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrite so its at the same angle as the metal one just plastic and you have to cut the one end coming outwards shorter to slip fit with the clear beveled plastic ring seal with the threads and nut style on one end?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just use one end to the wall and cut it to correct size to slip fit and thread onto the original plastic fitting thats already there? That would leave me using only about half of the home depot plumbing fixture?

Am i supposed to use just the one end of it? the metal one is a straight fitting slipped into the plastic with the beveled crush seal that mashes when nut threaded down on the one end?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Home Depot has this, just replace that chrome piece with the plastic one, cut it to size in the middle.
Double offset
Yeah i see its threaded on one side to fit the already plastic end and the straight end slips into the wall fitting with one of the crush washer seals and plastic threaded couplers. I think thats what it looks like is going on.

·
Naildriver
21,597 Posts
One thing you need to correct is the angle of the drain from the disposer. It can't have that much of a slope toward the disposer. You can also swing your trap around more in line with the wall drain so the swing arm is straighter.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it supposed to be even with to disposer or downward slope? I think its been like that my grandmother had whoever install the original garbage disposer. I think she usually uses the place she bought the disposer from for installation same with appliances refrigerator and washer dryer she has home depot or lowes install the stuff. Unless she has used an outside plumber. She passed away late 2015 this is my grandparents old setup where they usually called a plumber or yeah installer for appliances where bought.

Tho the 3/4hp one went out half a year ago my younger brother replaced it himself 2-3 months ago with a 1/2hp same model just less hp. It fit the same way it was.

So whatre you saying to put it straight? or at a downward slope slightly? I wonder if the one side straight piping is too short it would then lower the bottom loop trap and require cutting somewhere.

·
Naildriver
21,597 Posts
The pipe from the disposer to the trap needs to be tilted down from the disposer to the trap. Water doesn't flow uphill very well.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Your right side drain tailpiece is kinked at the connection. It needs to point down vertically.

The disposer outlet pipe needs to slope down just a tiny bit past horizontal instead of going uphill.

Once those are corrected you might want to try rotating your P-trap to bring the U-bend to the right to see if you can go straight out to the drain instead of an elbow. Hard to tell may be you don't need that elbow.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Unusual set up. The drain outlet was offset more than what the pea trap could make up for. (2 1/2 inches)

You need to find this in 1 1/2 but
Light Product Font Auto part Metal

you will need to have a piece to go into the wall.

The best way would be to change the stuff coming out of the wall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts