DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a house that has the kitchen sink drain running to the basement and discharging to the floor drain. I am looking for the specific code section that prohibits this. I was looking at IPC 405.4:

405.4 Floor and wall drainage connections.​
Connections
between the drain and floor outlet plumbing fixtures shall be
made with a floor flange. The flange shall be attached to the

drain and anchored to the structure.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
That section is specifically for toilets.

The situation you're describing LOOSELY resembles an indirect waste, but I know for a fact that my inspector would not let that fly. Whether there's something in the code that prohibits it I can't say for sure, but it certainly doesn't sound like a good idea when there are plenty of other ways to do it properly.

One thing that I am sure of : You can't have two p-traps on a line. I bet your kitchen has one below the sink, and your floor drain probably has one below the slab floor as well.

The other issue I see is that a floor drain is not really designed to receive waste in that manner. If it were designed to drain that way, it should be a floor sink. The other issue that comes in now is that whether a floor sink is allowed to receive discharge from a separate floor.

I can't point you to any specific code sections, because the code i work from is based off of UPC, but these are obvious problems I see with this installation.

·
Registered
37,428 Posts
Run do not walk away. If they did something like this to that one drain, what other funky thing they they hack.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I came across a house that has the kitchen sink drain running to the basement and discharging to the floor drain. I am looking for the specific code section that prohibits this. I was looking at IPC 405.4:

405.4 Floor and wall drainage connections.​
Connections
between the drain and floor outlet plumbing fixtures shall be
made with a floor flange. The flange shall be attached to the

drain and anchored to the structure.
really no matter what the code book says on this one its just wrong.as alan said maybe hooked up as an indirect waste but still all wrong for a kitchen..what about a vent....and yes my inspector too would flip out over this... ..side thougth bet the grease around floor drain stinks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts