DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kitchen renovation, tile entryway
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a kitchen backsplash to put in with a kitchen renovation project. After removing old tile off of a cement and chicken wire backing, I think I have a good surface to apply the new tile to. Is that an appropriate way of thinking about it or should I remove the cement off the walls and put up a backer board? Under the cement is gypsum drywall with minimal damage due to the demolition. There are a few places that need a little patching but I can make the areas level to surface without a problem with mastic. To make the surface even, I plan on doing that with a grinder.

I just want to know if this is too much work or should I just tear it out and start fresh.

·
Naildriver
17,083 Posts
I would remove all the cement material down to the drywall. Not being a wet area, applying tile to your drywall will be perfectly OK. That is a lot of weight and protrusion that you don't need, and it really isn't smooth enough to apply tile to.

Reactions: SW Dweller

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I think other than patching it up in spots, it's smooth enough to apply tile to. That's what a layer of thinset or mastic is for - in addition to adhesion, it's also to make up small differences in the surface. If it's strong and well attached, the question is how much effort do you want to put into it, without any noticeable bang for the buck? If the mortar comes off easily, I would do that. If it doesn't then you're in for day of damaging the drywall and another day of fixing all that. A grinder is going to be a HUGE dust storm. I wouldn't even use that except maybe for some real high spots, and I don't see any in your photos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.