DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend is remodeling his kitchen. Currently he has a range plug 220 and wants to convert to 120. Is it possible to use same wire, change breaker to 20 amp, wire 12 gauge to existing wire range wire and install plug with 12 gauge? It would make life much easier. Thanks, Tim. Ps. Not sure what gauge range wire is - maybe 8 or 10.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,846 Posts
Yes it is. You need to tell us exactly what the existing wire or cable feeding the range is and we can provide recommendations. If cable there are markings on the outer sheath.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not currently at his house. When I get there I'll check actual gauge and let you know. Thanks Tim.

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
Why, is he going from a 240 volt electric stove to gas?
Likely there's no neutral wire avalible, 8 or 10 would not fit under the screw.

·
Super Moderator
20,963 Posts
Or he could just use one of these. They have a built in 15 amp fuse to make it legal. Available at Home Depot.
Safely converts an electric range outlet for gas range use.

No need to install new outlet.
Built-in 15 Amp fuse for safety.
A 220- to 110-Volt converter.
Simply plug gas range 110 Volt plug into the adapter, and then plug adapter into existing electric range 220 Volt outlet.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.gas-range-adaptor.1000106129.html

p_1000106129.jpg

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,846 Posts
I can't tell where the poster is but that adapter is only available in Canada. And only works with a 4 wire range receptacle.

Most ranges are 120/240. If the cable is acceptable he may have a neutral or could repurposed a hot as a neutral. Larger conductors can be pigtailed to #12s for connection to smaller terminals.

·
Licensed electrician
13,407 Posts
It would be cheaper to feed off one of the counter top receptacles .

Reactions: Oso954

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Under the NEC, the new 20 amp stove receptacle requires GFCI protection and may require AFCI as well, depending on location/code cycle.

I'm curious as to whether this is the only electrical in the remodel, or if is only the part they had questions on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's replacing range with gas. Needs electrical for controls. Is it possible to install a box, was short piece of 12 gauge, connect to range wire, then to receptacle. Will use one of the hot legs for neutral. Will change hot to neutral in panel. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts