DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give a new look to my kitchen. Should I go for refacing or re modelling? Which is the easier and cheaper option? :huh:

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I want to give a new look to my kitchen. Should I go for refacing or re modelling? Which is the easier and cheaper option? :huh:
Both tasks require a skill set.
Who would be doing the refacing?
What are the cabinets made of? Are they in good shape?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Are you upgrading appliances and will the new ones fit the openings in the existing cabinetry. If you are going to have to tear out a high percentage of cabinets to accommodate new appliances you may be better off replacing everything.

Are the cabinets you have workable where they are located and so forth. If you do not like their placement and functionality now you will not like them better with new facings.

Refacing is generally cheaper than new cabinets since you rescue and do not have to fit all the cabinet frames. Make sure you get good veneers for the frames and remember you will just have veneers, not solid wood in the new material for that part of things.

Make sure your written contract for refacing matches your understanding and discussions as far as expectations for the finished project. If your discussions involved new solid wood doors and drawer fronts and the contract is providing for a layer of cheap laminate or veneer? You have a problem.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
if our cabinets hadn't been particle board with sagging shelves I would have refaced them myself. We managed to find ready to assemble cabinets for less then half what lowes wanted for all wood cabinets. it got better tho, they were having a 40% off sale the week we found them so we saved another 1400.00 on the cabinets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts