DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! This is my first post on the forum and I just have a quick question. Hopingto get a positive response. I am planning to do a renovation on my kitchen and i was very confused on what to choose on my countertop. I am torn between laminated countertop and quartz countertop. How can you tell quality of quartz countertops? I heard that is very expensive.

·
Usually Confused
9,170 Posts
I think quartz is the most expensive mainstream option available. It looks really nice and there are all sorts of appearances available. It is not a natural stone; it is ground up stone mixed with binders and moulded. It is not porous like natural stone but I don't think it likes heat.
I'm a cheap bugger and I think there are some amazing looking laminates out there for a lot less money. Our daughter and son-in-law bought a new house last year with a laminate countertop and you have a hard time telling it's not stone. Even their edge treatments mimic stone. Given my druthers, I'd go with laminate and pocket the difference. The challenge may be she-who-must-be-obeyed.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I put in Zodak, which is a semi man-made or supplemented quartz. It handles heat like a champ. It does chip a little if you throw things at it though :p Still, I wouldn't have gotten anything else and I'm very happy with it. We've had ours since 2007 I believe. (You can check out my kitchen remodel album if ya wanna see it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.