DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post on the forum and I just have a quick question. Hopingto get a positive response. I am planning to do a renovation on my kitchen and i was very confused on what to choose on my countertop. I am torn between laminated countertop and quartz countertop. How can you tell quality of quartz countertops? I heard that is very expensive.

·
Usually Confused
7,257 Posts
I think quartz is the most expensive mainstream option available. It looks really nice and there are all sorts of appearances available. It is not a natural stone; it is ground up stone mixed with binders and moulded. It is not porous like natural stone but I don't think it likes heat.
I'm a cheap bugger and I think there are some amazing looking laminates out there for a lot less money. Our daughter and son-in-law bought a new house last year with a laminate countertop and you have a hard time telling it's not stone. Even their edge treatments mimic stone. Given my druthers, I'd go with laminate and pocket the difference. The challenge may be she-who-must-be-obeyed.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I put in Zodak, which is a semi man-made or supplemented quartz. It handles heat like a champ. It does chip a little if you throw things at it though :p Still, I wouldn't have gotten anything else and I'm very happy with it. We've had ours since 2007 I believe. (You can check out my kitchen remodel album if ya wanna see it.)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quartz is great! No need to reseal every few years. We’ve had our Cosentino Silestone since 2003. My kitchen counters are also my workspace (painting, sanding, solvent handling, gardening, hammering, laundry, etc. ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts