DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all out there, the four outlets in my kitchen stopped working about a week ago, they worked intermittently for a week and now all don’t work. It appears to be on the same circuit as the stove burner igniters (they don’t make their clicking noise, gas still works). 20 AMP GFI outlet, I attempted to swap this out with a new one, still not working. Neighboring switch is sink undercabinet light and bottom switch is disposal (both work). The new GFI has green light in bottom right that is on, so it has power.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection. Since all the receptacles on the circuit seem to be out I would check in the panel first.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
The light means it is tripped on some brands. On others it means power is on. Check the instructions .

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
From the reading.... I'm confused if all the circuit is dead......."

"Neighboring switch is sink undercabinet light and bottom switch is disposal (both work). The new GFI has green light in bottom right that is on, so it has power"

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You probably have a bad connection downstream of the GFCI, and the light/disposal switch. You probably need to pull receptacles, switches, and fixtures from their boxes and check the wiring in the boxes.
***KILL POWER AT THE BREAKER FIRST! ***
There are so many ways a circuit can be configured, and often it is not what you would expect. There could even be a hidden junction box (which is not code).
I'm not trying to frighten you, but I live in a 95 year old house, and have seen a wide variety of circuit configurations - some of which are not code.
Intermittent connections are the worst. They won't usually cause the breaker to trip - unless it is an AFCI type - while the bad connection gets hot, which can lead to burned wires, and eventually possibility of fire.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
If the outlets where backstabbed change them to under the screws.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Didn't read all of the details...but any possibility that among other issues you mixed up the line and load on the new gfci?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts