DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DIYFrau
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My light/ceiling fan in the kitchen has suddenly stopped working. It's not the breaker, as all other lights on that breaker are fine. It's not the bulb, since the fan doesn't turn either, and It's not the connections- I took it apart to check them all, and they are fine.
So...what the heck could it be? I'm stumped, and I'm usually pretty good at fixing stuff. :huh:

What else can I do? Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Cheryl

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Light switch, someone wired it on a GFCI outlet possibly. Get a no touch tester to check for voltage at the switch, junction box. Light switches do go bad. If the fan has a remote on it, check that out also.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
My light/ceiling fan in the kitchen has suddenly stopped working. It's not the breaker, as all other lights on that breaker are fine. It's not the bulb, since the fan doesn't turn either, and It's not the connections- I took it apart to check them all, and they are fine.
So...what the heck could it be? I'm stumped, and I'm usually pretty good at fixing stuff. :huh:

What else can I do? Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Cheryl
Pull the chains?

·
DIYFrau
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still broken, but here's what it's not...

Ok..so I borrowed a voltage tester, and checked the switch. I actually changed it for a new one, just in case. (My house is 1940's, with some updated wiring)

I'm getting power on the 2 black wires connected on the left, according to the tester, but nothing on the one red wire on the right. Is that normal? I always thought red was the 'hot' one, but perhaps not in this case?

The other switches on this breaker are fine, as are the ceiling connections. Somebody mentioned 'light box connections', but I don't know what they mean? the only connections I can see on the fixture are the ones at the ceiling.

Any more ideas? I really don't want to have to call an electrician for this. (especially since I live in a rual area, and there's only one guy, so he's pricey!)
Thanks,
Cheryl

·
DIYFrau
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used the voltage tester on the wires at the fan..the red one isn't getting any power, even when the switch is on. The red one does have power at the switch though, when it's on. What does this mean? It's a pretty heavy copper wire, seems like it would be hard to break, and there's nothing int he attic to affect it. ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts