DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the final stages of building and installing an island similar to the photo attached, though not nearly as fancy.

Like this one, my island has a cabinet on one end and the other end is open like a table for seating.

I am planning to run wiring up through the floor, into the cabinet and I will mount a receptacle (A) on the side of the cabinet, just under the 2" overhang.

What I want to do is install another receptacle (B) at the other end of the island, on or near one of the legs of the "table" Question is how to run the wiring from A to B. Can I just run the Romex and staple it to the underside of the table? (It would be hidden by the "table" apron.) Do I need to use conduit or a chase or something to cover the wire? Or maybe I should run another separate line up through the floor up inside the table leg and into the receptacle? (I am building the table legs, so I can hollow it out if needed.)

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, the island is 7 feet long, I'd rather not have to mess with long extension cords, for example people using computers while seated.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Just use a piece of wire mold attached to the bottom of the table section. Just running romex on the bottom of the table will not be code be that without be protected.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
You need to watch those pop up receptacles. Some occupy more space under the counter than you might think. It can limit your placement of them, or totally exclude them.

The other drawback is that some of them are designed as plug in units. You need a receptacle under the countertop to plug them in. Some inspectors may fail those during inspection as use of flexible cord inplace of permanent wiring.

It's worth double checking your intended design with the inspector to insure they will approve it, before cutting holes in the stone/hard surface counter top.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm in the final stages of building and installing an island similar to the photo attached, though not nearly as fancy.

Like this one, my island has a cabinet on one end and the other end is open like a table for seating.

I am planning to run wiring up through the floor, into the cabinet and I will mount a receptacle (A) on the side of the cabinet, just under the 2" overhang.

What I want to do is install another receptacle (B) at the other end of the island, on or near one of the legs of the "table" Question is how to run the wiring from A to B. Can I just run the Romex and staple it to the underside of the table? (It would be hidden by the "table" apron.) Do I need to use conduit or a chase or something to cover the wire? Or maybe I should run another separate line up through the floor up inside the table leg and into the receptacle? (I am building the table legs, so I can hollow it out if needed.)

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

All three of your ideas are viable. The Romex would be the easiest, however conduit or Wiremold would provide better protection. Another idea is to run a plugmold strip. Someone else posted pictures of popup receptacles which is another way to go.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You need to watch those pop up receptacles. Some occupy more space under the counter than you might think. It can limit your placement of them, or totally exclude them.

The other drawback is that some of them are designed as plug in units. You need a receptacle under the countertop to plug them in. Some inspectors may fail those during inspection as use of flexible cord inplace of permanent wiring.

It's worth double checking your intended design with the inspector to insure they will approve it, before cutting holes in the stone/hard surface counter top.

I always hard wire. but in the event of what you are saying, he could install said outlet below counter, get inspection, and then go ahead with the countertop hole install with a plug in unit...

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Personally I don't care for those popup units, and I would much rather not drill any holes in the counter top. (It is a maple butcher block counter top.)

I think I'm going to go with the wiremold to cover up and protect the Romex.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
I always hard wire. but in the event of what you are saying, he could install said outlet below counter, get inspection, and then go ahead with the countertop hole install with a plug in unit...
You are giving non-code complient advice, again.

·
Knows Enough to be Danger
678 Posts
Far out idea, but could you come up through the floor, through the leg to get to B?

Just a poor farm boy, no idea on the "code" issue presented by that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts