DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was changing out a broken GFI in my kitchen. Before I shut the breaker I checked them with my meter. One is no good, doesn't hold a plug that's why I am changing it. But still worked. I noticed that 2 of them had no ground and the third one was grounded. Are GFI's supposed to be grounded to the box. I read that the reason for a GFI is so no ground is needed.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
If a ground is there it should be used.

A gfi will work if no ground is present.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If a ground is there it should be used.

A gfi will work if no ground is present.
Then there should be no problem if the house were to be inspected when I sell it.

Also I have some old 2 prong receptacles in the basement. I can use them there also?

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
A gfi is recognized as a replacement for 2 prong devices. They should be labeled going protected and no ground. The stickers are included with the gfi.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A gfi is recognized as a replacement for 2 prong devices. They should be labeled going protected and no ground. The stickers are included with the gfi.

So then it will pass an inspection. That saves me some work. I went and bought 50 feet of wire. Time to close things up and get a beer.

Thanks for your time and help.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
Some inspectors will still call it a defect that should be corrected. (Stickers or not).

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Some inspectors will still call it a defect that should be corrected. (Stickers or not).
They can if they want, but they'd still be wrong.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
They can if they want, but they'd still be wrong.
Totally agree. The problem is once the inspector puts in in the report, the buyer gets in his head there is a problem. Sometimes it is better just to bite the bullet and fix these type items rather than risk losing the sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts