DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a common measurement for can light placement/layout in a kitchen with uppers.

I am aware that it is supposed to be approx. 12in from wall for over sink.

I was thinking 36in from wall for wall with upper cabinets and 24in in from wall if no upper cabinets.

cabinets will run 18ft long down wall and i have a 3ft island running parallel to the cabinets.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking for a common measurement for can light placement/layout in a kitchen with uppers.

I am aware that it is supposed to be approx. 12in from wall for over sink.

I was thinking 36in from wall for wall with upper cabinets and 24in in from wall if no upper cabinets.

cabinets will run 18ft long down wall and i have a 3ft island running parallel to the cabinets.
@Let it Snow

·
Hammered Thumb
3,282 Posts
Your cabinet layout is headed in the right direction. But the lighting is based on that, as you have to light the counters as well as provide general room lighting, and an island may want its own lights. So post a drawing from the "cabinet guy" and your ideas on what kind of fixtures you'd prefer (6" general, 4" spot, specific directional, under cabinet, etc). Remember also that recessed lighting is also an aesthetic element of a ceiling and the layout should be visually appealing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your cabinet layout is headed in the right direction. But the lighting is based on that, as you have to light the counters as well as provide general room lighting, and an island may want its own lights. So post a drawing from the "cabinet guy" and your ideas on what kind of fixtures you'd prefer (6" general, 4" spot, specific directional, under cabinet, etc). Remember also that recessed lighting is also an aesthetic element of a ceiling and the layout should be visually appealing.
I have another posing with the cabinet layout. I just want to know if there is a spacing from cabinet mounted wall. like a standard I dont normally do residential work.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
3' with uppers is good, esp. with undercabinet lighting as well. Over a base cabinet without uppers I would treat it like an island or the sink area centering over the countertop.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,282 Posts
I have another posing with the cabinet layout
Yes, I saw the fun everyone was having but you didn't post the final layout there either.

You do not want a 6" over the sink only 12" away from the wall, you reduce to a 4" or even 3". You probably don't want a 6" throw only 24" away from the master bath blank wall either. You also need to account for the dining lighting, the windows, and since your island will be only 36" away from the main counter you want to address the locations there too. So "general rules of thumb" can be adjusted as per the room layout and fixtures chosen.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I saw the fun everyone was having but you didn't post the final layout there either.

You do not want a 6" over the sink only 12" away from the wall, you reduce to a 4" or even 3". You probably don't want a 6" throw only 24" away from the master bath blank wall either. You also need to account for the dining lighting, the windows, and since your island will be only 36" away from the main counter you want to address the locations there too. So "general rules of thumb" can be adjusted as per the room layout and fixtures chosen.
here is the layout and what im thinking for lighting I still dont know where to put the pendant light switch fro the bar.

Attachments

·
Hammered Thumb
3,282 Posts
Is this going to be a speakeasy? A bistro table in living, bar seating at living, dining table, and bar at back door? Are you set on the odd space of the back seating, or are you willing to have the main island double as seating (without a rangetop)?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this going to be a speakeasy? A bistro table in living, bar seating at living, dining table, and bar at back door? Are you set on the odd space of the back seating, or are you willing to have the main island double as seating (without a rangetop)?
The range location is to try and keep the flow to the back door and have the kitchen work triangle. With the open space floor plan, the bar in the back is more of a peninsula seating as the back doors open to a patio with fire pit and large back yard that will be used for entertaining.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,282 Posts
The range location is to try and keep the flow to the back door and have the kitchen work triangle. With the open space floor plan, the bar in the back is more of a peninsula seating as the back doors open to a patio with fire pit and large back yard that will be used for entertaining.
Yes, but you don't want the main circulation going past an in-use rangetop. And don't forget the hood hanging down, unless you like the downdraft$$.

The back seating is problematic to get into and out of with people sitting already. The door swings into it as well. The triangle is a little too small, I know the windows interfere with spreading it out, but nowadays when you have the counter space keeping a close-knit triangle is not as important.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The door opens up flush with the wall. Can you give me an example of what you are thinking?
down draft... Is it really that much more when taking the hood into consideration?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I like the layout. The back seating area is nice because you look into the living area instead of facing into a kitchen and no further. That is what you would have if seating was at the island. Cooking at the island is the only issue because downdraft hoods are virtually useless. If possible you might swap the range and sink. I have seen lots of kitchens with the sink and dish washer in the island.
Now back to the purpose of this post, I would add a recess can in front of the refrigerator and have them in line on each side of the island.

·
retired framer
41,245 Posts
extra loops of wire above the drywall might be handy if you wanted to add more can light later.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
My neighbors grandson let me measure their cabinets yesterday. (Kind of a funny thing to knock on the door and ask....)
The upper cabinets where approximately 13 1/8 with the doors mounted on the box.
Their can lights where 24in on center.

After doing some experimenting with the lights on and opening and closing their cabinets it the light was further out the can light would cast light on the back of the person working on the counter. casting a shadow on the work area.

The sink they have is all the way against the granite strip used as back splash in their kitchen and the can light above the sink measures 12in to center.

So I spaced my can light 14" to center after measuring the sing and the size of cabinets i have left after demo.

However the can lights are 36" from wall infront of the fridge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts