DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i have a 1978 kitchen and i when i initially bought the house i planned to renovate the kitchen. But i want painted cabinets anyway (value of the house does not allow for the maple cabinets i want), that i could just refinish my current cabinets.

I will need new hardware for them, i would like new inner shelves and new shelf guides as well.
I despise the brush stroke i can see in them now so should i have them professionally painted or is there a better way in which i can paint them myself and avoid brush strokes.

I know these are pretty simple questions but i need some outside opinions.

Also, feel free to direct me to any other threads or posts which may have covered this., i'll post some pictures up tonight!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just repainted some of mine with a small HVLP sprayer. Like yours they had been painted with a brush with obvious brush strokes. Sounds like your going to have to remove them, take them outside and at least sand the old marks out before refinishing. That's what I had to do but using a combination of a ROS and my multimaster for the corners it went pretty fast but I had plain rounded edges. If you have an ogee or something it's going to take longer. If you can't spray, use a slow drying oil base paint that will have time to level out. Use a GOOD brush specifically for oil.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Yes, i intend to remove the doors and hardware to paint. Glad to hear yours turned out. any pictures? :) I'm not opposed to the labor aspect, just want a good outcome.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What color does anyone think i should go with? The trim in the house is all beige.. not my doing, but i'm going to live with it since there is chair railing as well in the majority of the house. You can see some of it in the first picture.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow... excellent advice from everyone and i can honestly say i feel more comfortable now with the idea of refinishing them as opposed to replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
aluminum kitchen cabinets

I am looking for aluminum kitchen cabinets. I was already in a few places but nothing I do not like it, please help. If you know where you can find something interesting please write. Caroll

·
jschaben
588 Posts
I am looking for aluminum kitchen cabinets. I was already in a few places but nothing I do not like it, please help. If you know where you can find something interesting please write. Caroll
Hi Caroll - Sorry, haven't got a source for aluminum cabinets. This is a pretty old thread, you will likely get better and more focused results:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts