DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning on getting these cabinets installed and realized my walls are WAY out of square. I've installed a 36" cabinet butted up against one leg of wall that measures 60" ( 1 36" cabinet x 1 24" sink base cabinet) To the left of the 36" cabinet is a 1 sink base 30" cabinet where the cooktop will get mounted. ( Above the sink there is a window that is left out of the rendering)

My hang up is since my wall is out of square I'm having a tough time lining up the cabinets with the granite.

How do determine how much out of square the wall is so know how much i need to shim?

The granite cut line is not mitered, it's a straight line following the line from the cooktop straight across. Basically a butt joint. When I've installed the cabinets, the granite doesn't line up at all because the cabinets are so out of square.

I'm also having a tough time figuring out the exact distance off the corner i should start the 60" cabinet. I know enough so the door can swing comfortably, but this design begets me being extremely precise.

my arms,back and shoulders are killing me from trying to put the granite back and forth on top to test fit.

There has to be an easier way to make the entire cabinet setup square and ready to accept granite in one shot. I have a 3/4" backsplash so I have that much (perhaps a +3/16 variance that i can caulk)

Any advice would be great appreciated!

·
Registered
259 Posts
measure out 3' from the corner on one wall, 4' from corner on the other wall and measure in between the 2 marks it should be 5' if its square. Whats your measurement, the only way to use a square top is to pull the cabinets to make it square and try to hide it with the back splash. I always order my tops from a real counter top shop not one of the box stores, the cabinet shop will make the top out of square to match the walls

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
In case the granite is not cut perfectly square. Lay the granite on the floor. Adjust it so that you split the gap on both walls. So if a 1" gap on one wall make it, 1/2" on both walls. Or is less then 3/4" (your backsplash) put the gap on the wall that the cabinet edge will be least noticed. tape or mark the outline on the floor. Now you know exactly where your cabinets need to go.
You can hide the cabinet/wall gap with some little trim.

·
Registered
589 Posts
use an accurate long level, and find the highest point of the floor, in the cabinet area. that will be your reference point to which you shim up to meet. I shim the level, then write on the floor whatever the gap is where the cabinets will sit, side to side, and front to back. then cut shims to fit. place the cabinet in place and adjust as required. then I connect all of the cabinets to ease leveling/installation.

you may not be able to screw the cabinets back to the wall in all places as it can pull the cabinet out of plumb. you can use shims to help with that if you can reach them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim -- Thanks for the reply. My floor level surprisingly isn't an issue. The floor isn't all that much out of level and I can shim the difference.

MaeLing is on to my current problem. And thanks for the tips. I believe I have to measure the total distance the granite will run across the 60" cabinet (34+24 installed as a single unit) and leave 1/2 for the overhang (for the granite). This will allow me to mark the wall for the starting and end point for the cabinets. Then butt the corner 60" cabinet unit against those marks and put a 6ft level across its face. Since one end of the cabinet will be visible, I'll bring the cabinet off the visible an 1/8th and then shim up all the way up to the end of the corner cabinet so that the level sitting against the face of the cabinet is sitting flush all the way across.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts