DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing tired and old kitchen marble countertop and backsplash with new granite countertop and subway tile backsplash. I am trying to avoid the removal of the marble tile backsplash glued on the drywall and want to subway over the marble. My first question is what product or products are advised to adhere the subway over the marble.

My second question is related to the removal of the marble countertop which will create a one to one and a half inch gap between the new granite top and the exposed marble backsplash so I will need to apply a filler to fill this gap and be able to apply the subway backsplash once the filler is dry. What product's should I use for this part of the project?:smile:
THANKS

·
Naildriver
10,792 Posts
From what you are describing it won't go well. What do you propose to do with the ends of the back splash once they are built out. Are they exposed? I would remove all the old back splash, skim coat the sheetrock behind it, or even replace it, then install the back splash of your choice. That will give you a classic look without cobbling it together.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,450 Posts
I too advocate that you just "Do it right the first time", and tear out the existing backsplash and it's "rock" sheeting.

That way you can start over from the studs, and add ,or remove outlets / switches wherever SWMBO wants them.

May be more work for you, but the results are more satisfying.

ED

1 - 4 of 4 Posts