DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done the research and found the fix, just wanted to post for others who may need help Since this appears to be a common problem. Mine is a kitchen aide French door fridge with bottom drawer freezer. The entire bottom is ice and water was dripping on the floor. Many of the kitchen aide and whirlpool fridges even in other designs have the same complaints. It's the defrost system not draining into the evap pan. There is a duck bill drain that clogs and sticks shut so water can't drain, so instead of runs into freezer and ultimately out to your floor. There is a replacement P trap drain they sell now as an upgrade after issuing a service bulletin and they supply free only if under warranty. Mines out f warranty but it's a clear problem I called and complained even though it's only a $16 part in line so they said they would ship me one free but it had to be installed by a pro technician. I laughed and said sure, I'm going to pay someone $150 to replace a $16 part when I'm the one who diagnosed it. Whatever, send me the part and try did. Anyhow, turn fridge off for a day or so in order to thaw all the ice. Clean it out. From behind remove the duck drain, and drain pipe. Ran pipe cleaner j. Home to be sure it's clear and install the replacement P trap. Put cover back and and done. So far so good. How this helps others

1 - 1 of 1 Posts