DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am going to lay a small 2 wythes brick wall with 2 90 degree corners. Also would like to cap the wall with the same king sized bricks with a 1/4" overhang. Any pointers on the corner layout? I was planning to just do a running bond.
thanks
fb

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Standard running bond does not work with king size brick, you will have to do 1/3 bond or lay in some chips at the corners which do not look that good as a rule.

Edit- Modular brick are 4x8, so they work in bond around corners. Kings are not 5" wide, so they do not maintain bond around the corner. They are generally one third the length in width, which means if laid whole, they will be laid in 1/3 bond or you will have to have a small piece of brick (smaller than the desired minimum of 1/4 of a unit) to maintain running bond.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Looks like 1/3 bond is the way to go as bonding around the corner will require no cuts at all.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
The only way you're going to be able to use the same brick for the cap AND have an overhang is:

A) Have a cold joint running up each end jamb, which won't be as strong as a full brick tying the wythes together on the ends.......

B) Use two brick wide on the top (you'd have to cut/break all theses bricks, but you could then get more overhang as well) with a cold joint in the center of the cap.....

C) Somehow source the ever elusive "brick stretcher" that newb laborer's have been searching behind the seat of the truck for years for...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems as though I could bring to outer wythe in (8" outside to outside) and use a whole brick as a cap with a small overhang. If I should be spacing the wythes a full brick I can skip the overhang...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You can do it like that, but you should really flash under the cap. The corners of the cap should be 45'ed regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moving along

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like the 45's will work on the ends really good. Should I fill the cavity with reinforced concrete prior to capping?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts