DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I primed two rooms with Kilz and both times the coat ran down the wall and, at best, sat and beaded up. I had to sand down the drips before painting! It looked like I had thrown marshmallow cream against the wall! What happened? Thanks!

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
what type of kilz? did you mix it before applying it? is it out of date? what are you painting over? did you do any surface prep?

·
2,392 Posts
Hey Pat, welcome to the forum. I'm gonna take a stab and guess that you're using oil kilz on plaster walls? Sometimes in winter (I love that Blood, Sweat, Tears song), the outside walls of a room will run like that because the plaster is cold. Even latex will run and puddle on the baseboard tops. Plaster has nowhere near the absorbency of drywall (if it absorbs at all), so you have to adjust the amount you carry in your roller and how far you spread it. And, maximum roller nap is 3/8 inch. If you're done, good. If you have more to go, you have something to think about. If my assumptions are wrong, and you're using latex on drywall, school starts in a month and half, spend some time in the sun and hire a painter, lol.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Hey Pat, welcome to the forum. I'm gonna take a stab and guess that you're using oil kilz on plaster walls? Sometimes in winter (I love that Blood, Sweat, Tears song), the outside walls of a room will run like that because the plaster is cold. Even latex will run and puddle on the baseboard tops. Plaster has nowhere near the absorbency of drywall (if it absorbs at all), so you have to adjust the amount you carry in your roller and how far you spread it. And, maximum roller nap is 3/8 inch. If you're done, good. If you have more to go, you have something to think about. If my assumptions are wrong, and you're using latex on drywall, school starts in a month and half, spend some time in the sun and hire a painter, lol.

a little harsh, but that is what I would suggest:yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts