DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
just a tool guy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'round here, banana trees are a pest plant...really hard to get rid of. My new neighbor has a stool about 4' around that keeps on sprouting. We'd rather not poison(lotta nice stuff growin' real close) I'm thinking keep cuttin' sprouts 'til they don' sprout no more, but I'd really like a quicker more back friendly solution.
Any ideas?
And the hammer don't even phase these things:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
14,479 Posts
I don't know if you can do this without hurting the things around it or not but rock salt will usually kill just about any kind of plants, bleach will also.

·
just a tool guy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about salt, but wasn't sure if it would spread too much...she wan'ts to keep as many of the neighboring plants as possible. I'm going to try bleach...it ought to evaporate rather quickly (hopefully before it spreads too far).
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ack!

In montana where the growing season is about 2 months, it's hard to imagine a banana plant growing, let alone wanting to kill it! I say eat more bananas!

·
just a tool guy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In montana where the growing season is about 2 months, it's hard to imagine a banana plant growing, let alone wanting to kill it! I say eat more bananas!
Unfortunately, these trees only produce little 'nanners, and the plant spreads exponentially. I threw some of the mature plants on the brush pile a few monts ago, and they've already taken hold. Understand about the Montana growing season...y'all only get three months of sunshine, right?:laughing:

·
Craftster
129 Posts
There was a banana tree growing by the side of the house we bought a year and a half ago (along with some asian jasmine and who knows what else), we dug the banana out as best we could (and the ground cover), laid down a thick layer of sandy dirt and put St. Augustine sod over the whole area, haven't seen a peep from that banana since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts