DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

kerf door seals

1497 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Windowman123
I have two doors which need new door seals with the kerf cut style. I can see light and feel a breeze through the door. Having a very hard time finding a supplier who makes them in different thicknesses (extended reach). One of the doors has a .75" gap on the handle side, while the hinge side is about .5". The other door has 3/8 at the hinge and .5'' at the handle side. Does anyone know of a place that sells kerf style door seals in a good variety of thicknesses.
Thank you
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
So these are 2 different doors?

Both single panel inswing doors?

Solid wood door(s), wood/clad, fiberglass?

If wood, have you checked to see if the panel(s) warped?

Like Chandler48 said, check for plumb first. If it is out of plumb the same distance/equally on both sides, it's not that big of a deal. However, if you put a level on each jamb (hinge side) and the bubble is in a different spot on each jamb, the frame is twisted. Only thing one can really do there is re-install the door, or add an interior head and foot bolt, which a lot of people dislike the looks of. New weather strip would not solve a twisted door issue.

On the hinge side, one can shim behind the hinges with plastic shims or even cardboard. That will move than panel closer to the locking jamb. Might be all you need.
The big thing i used to see is that the hinges are not shimmed. If there are no shims behind the hinges, the panel wants to move constantly as it isn't solidly secured.........kind of free floats. An easy way to tell is to find the long screw(s) in the hinge that goes into the stud, if they used one, and start to tighten it. If you see the jamb move towards the stud, the hinges are not properly shimmed. To solve, either remove trim and shim hinges, or one could use what is called a jamb jack. They can be installed behind the hinges. They allow one to adjust the door without removing trim (if not shimmed,secured). Google Top Star Adjustable Shim Screw.

As far as adjusting the strike on the first picture. Remove the screws and install/glue small 1/8" wood dowels into the existing screw holes and snap off.. One can whittle some scrap wood as well to fill the holes. Chisel out the wood in front of the strike and move the strike closer to the weatherstrip and re-install screws in new spot.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.