DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Never heard of Floor and Decor but found one 1 hr. away. They carry Schulter products and offer free consultation on products installation and design. I have a feeling they are going to know more than the high school kid behind the counter at Home Depot. (Not a rip on kids, I have three :cool: ) . Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
197 Posts
Never heard of Floor and Decor but found one 1 hr. away. They carry Schulter products and offer free consultation on products installation and design. I have a feeling they are going to know more than the high school kid behind the counter at Home Depot. (Not a rip on kids, I have three :cool: ) . Thanks for the advice.
I would not get your hopes too high, they hire the same kids lol. They do focus more on tile products though so there should be a slightly more focused knowledge base lol.

· Registered
197 Posts
Good to know. As far as the cement board is concerned, are there ones that are easier to hang than others, with out voiding the kerdi warranty?
The only one I have used is HardieBacker and I have only used that on the floor. Due to availability it was a choice between Durock and HardieBacker when I did my first remodel and I just preferred the look/feel/consistency of the fiber cement one. For my walls I found the foam board to be an easier install than the membrane. As far as I know there isn't a backer choice that would void the warranty as long as you install the membrane per instructions for the type you choose.

· Registered
232 Posts
I use go board in my showers. Some times with a kerdi base and sometimes with a poured base.
I use kerdi membrane on base with kerdi band and kerdi corners.
Polyurethane sealant on go board seams. I like it better than kerdi board.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So here is the latest update. I took Mike Reilly's advice and found a Floor and Decor that has all the Kerdi products on hand. I spoke to a sales rep on the phone, and they were very knowledgeable. I have decided not to take the hybrid approach this being my first steam shower installation. I will be returning the GoBoard and Kerdi Shower kit which included the pan, drain, curb and membrane to Home Depot (because I will not need the membrane). I am going to go with the 1/2" 4x8 sheets of Kerdi Board and all necessary Kerdi components. I really appreciate all the friendly advice and comments. It still just kills me that the big box stores have access to some of the Kerdi Products but not all.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts