DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and found a large pool of water in front of the fridge. Cleaned it up thinking someone must've left the freezer door open overnight. More water came later and fridge and freezer are not cooling. Temp gauge says 50 in the freezer.

Any help, much appreciated. The model is a Kenmore 363.9762825

Pics below of back panel - Nasty.

·
Super Moderator
6,664 Posts
If it were me, I would unplug it and give it a good cleaning. Vacuum with a small nozzle shop vac. Then reverse it and use the blow option, or use an air compressor if you have one.

Use a long dryer brush to get under the coils. Be careful and gentle, don't be too rough. After you get all cleaned up, plug it back in and see what happens. Go from there.

As far as the door is concerned, could just be from the condensation and fridge being at 50 degrees, etc.

Others will be along with more suggestions.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: after taking the pics of the compressor area last night, I pulled the fridge away from the wall last night and pulled the paperboard cover off to let it breathe overnight. This morning the freezer temp is at 0 degrees and its making ice again. I also had cleared some packages away from the vents in the fridge section last night. It appears to be recovering after all of that. There wasn't nearly as much water pooled on the floor this morning.

I've moved my temp guage from the freezer to the fridge to check the temp there but it appears to be fine by touch.

Jmon, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be doing that next.

BTW, it was made in 1997 according to the papers on the back of the fridge. We just moved into this house. Not sure what repairs have been done to the fridge but there are some obvious signs here and there.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Clearing the vents in the fridge section is probably what did it, if they were blocked. All the cold air for the fridge comes in through them from the freezer, so if they're covered in either the fridge or freezer the fridge will warm up.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
did you open the expander cover in freezer bay? if that gets iced over then water will drip out the weep ducting. i had this happen a few times (not my fridge though). freezer was too packed with "stuff", had to remove the cover and blow dry until all the ice was gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts