DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm re-doing all of the wiring in my house. I've got a very clean brand new 200 amp panel to tie all of my circuits into. I'd like to have a clean looking organized install so everything looks professional. I'm open to suggestions. Currently I'm just tying my wires to the floor joists with insulated staples. I also prefer going through the side of the box with romex connectors with a service loop at the top of the box.

·
Super Moderator
14,294 Posts
Smaller cables need to go through bored holes or be on running boards.

Unless you are in Canada , it is more common to enter the top of the panel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering this, why is it normal to go through the top of the box? Entering through the side and terminating seems like it would be a more organized and easier way to differentiate which breaker goes to which wire.

·
Super Moderator
14,294 Posts
If the box has studs on each side it is easier to enter the top or bottom of the panel.

You do not need service loops outside the panel.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,508 Posts
By service loop at the top of the box, I assume you mean leave a loop of slack wire. Don't do it, all it does is make the box more congested. Bring the wire in go to the breaker without excess slack.

Here is a pretty good example:

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That makes more sense. The box is attached to a foundation wall in the basement, no studs on the side. It's attached to a 3/4" ply sheet that is fastened to a couple of pressure treated 1x4s on the foundation wall.

I'd like to continue to run the wires through the side of the box unless there's something else or a code requirement I'm not taking into consideration.

Edit: By service loop, I mean I am forming the wire into a ~6" diameter loop directly above the box before I run parallel down the box and enter through a port on the side with an NM romex plug.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,508 Posts
That makes more sense. The box is attached to a foundation wall in the basement, no studs on the side. It's attached to a 3/4" ply sheet that is fastened to a couple of pressure treated 1x4s on the foundation wall.

I'd like to continue to run the wires through the side of the box unless there's something else or a code requirement I'm not taking into consideration.

Edit: By service loop, I mean I am forming the wire into a ~6" diameter loop directly above the box before I run parallel down the box and enter through a port on the side with an NM romex plug.
Your service loop will create an induction coil which will impede the flow of electrons and cause your multi-wire circuits to be 90 degrees out of phase instead of the required 180 degrees. Will cause all kinds of problems and burn up your expensive electronics.

:devil3:

·
Super Moderator
9,193 Posts

You are really overthinking this.

Come into the top or bottom and forget the side entrance.

·
Usually Confused
7,071 Posts
Check you local Code requirements - some areas require the panel to be mounted on a fire resistant surface (i.e.a piece of drywall between the panel and the plywood,

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Your service loop will create an induction coil which will impede the flow of electrons and cause your multi-wire circuits to be 90 degrees out of phase instead of the required 180 degrees. Will cause all kinds of problems and burn up your expensive electronics.
rjniles has a sense of humour which, until now, I had not appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts