DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a non violent way to train a dog to stay off of your furniture.
I allow my pup and my grand pup to go on the leather sofa and
chair in the family room, however, not in the living room...they love to go
up on the living room sofa to sun themselves and also to pull off the
throw pillows and destroy them. Also, they run in from outside and jump on the
sofa and make it dirty and sometimes muddy! :sad:

I discovered this trick from an animal behaviorist. Put a small handful of
pennies in a coffee can and firmly yell “No” as you shake the can, making a
loud noise... This scares them! They won’t go near the can. I also have one
next to a big floor plant in the dining room ( after they ate half the plant)

This really works!
The pic with all the stuffing is from a few minutes of “wilding”. :sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Yes, but like toddlers, it has to be while they're doing it or they may not connect the two things.:smile:
I rarely raise my voice, so my animals get really upset when I do. No can needed!

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I’ve caught them in the act. I also tried just yelling at them, it only
works for that day, next day they’re at it again...They won’t go near the cans. :smile:

My beagle was afraid of bubble wrap, I used to run a strip of bubble wrap
on the sofa and he wouldn’t go near it. It looked better than coffee cans. :smile:
I’m hoping I can eventually remove the cans.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Dogs respond to consistency - my daughter's dog is allowed on the furniture at her mom's house but not mine. Only took about a week for him to understand and he doesn't even bother at my house any more.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You talking to me? :smile:

They associate the can with things they’re not suppose to do...
For instance they won’t go near the floor plant in the DR with
the coffee can sitting next to it.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Hmm. Interesting tip!

I had a doggie years ago who, as the Puppy of the Apocalypse, would chew and destroy EVERYTHING she could get her powerful jaws around. (She was a German shepherd.) I've still got a screwdriver the handle of which she mushed in her mouth that I can barely dent with my own feeble choppers. She shredded bags of manure, pillows, clothing, etc., and pulled newly-planted rosebushes out of the ground.

After a while, she got older and mostly stopped chewing, except the giant beef bones I'd give her to chew on. Wish I knew that penny trick then . . . .

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dropping a thick phone book on the floor is also very effective. When puppies would go into the closet to get a shoe to chew on I would drop the phone book and they quickly became afraid of the closet.

Tobasco can help with furniture by using it to punish the dog and then smearing it onto furniture legs. It has stopped the chewing completely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, those are great ideas. If this helps at all, I heard there is a spray that you can put on the items that dogs to avoid that will make your dog stay the item. I'm not exactly sure how it works though or how it affects them though so I think I gotta to do more research.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any pet supply has a product called Bitter Yuck! Seriously. Its a natural product that is so bitter that you need to wash your hands after handling the bottle. You spray it anywhere they chew.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a borzoi (2nd largest breed-the gentle giant) and I used empty soda can with some coins in it, and strong tape on the opening. You could put many on furniture. I did raise my voice/tone and said "NO" loudly when I saw my dog near the couch, etc. You are Telling your dog Not Allowed to do this. You are also saying you are the pack leader. Note: If you do not raise your voice and the tone you are asking you dog to please stay off the couch/or your bed. There is a difference. Wasn't long when my dog saw the cans she would just walk away. After about one month, I was able to remove the cans and my dog would stay off and never go on areas I didn't want my dog to go on.

Funny Story - I went to visit my sister in another state with my very trained dog. She had a little dog that is allowed on her bed. I went food shopping with my sister and when we returned both dogs were sleeping on my sisters bed. My dog saw my sisters dog on her bed and my dog jumped in for a nap. We couldn't stop laughing when we saw this.
Note: my dog went on to take 2nd place in the Westminster dog show.
I would like to inform all dog owners about a "wet coat" for dogs that show people know about and most others do not. I have made most of my wet coats for my dog. I got this terry fabric or something else that would hold water. The dog wears this coat wet but not dripping wet. It keeps the dog cooler when you are walking the dog in the summer, helps to keeps the hair from blowing around the car if you have windows partially open. I had my dog stand and stay, I put a newspaper over my dog and with a marker quickly made a pattern for the wet coat. Cut out the pattern onto my fabric and edged it and used Velcro for the area around the neck and the ends of the strap that went around the stomach. yes i did make like belt loops on the wet coat for the belt to go through. you should get the idea. My dog loved it.

If you get a chance check out "borzoi on the computer"

If you travel from one state to another with your dog do bring your own water and if you are in another state for longer than you have water gradually mix the 2 together. A dog can get sick from water that is different than what the dog is used to. tip of the day. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much for this information about the wet coat.
We have a Boston and last summer there was a day that she got over
heated and was breathing heavily.

Breathing Problems With Boston Terriers is a common health problem with this breed....
Because of the dogs short mushed in nose they are classified as a brachycephalic breed.
With this condition the dog has a hard time breathing due to the fact that
the sinus region and palate can be restricted.

I have lots of clothes for her, I particularly have cotton shirts that I could wet
and use if I see any signs of overheating.
Again, thank you for this useful tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
The only effective thing I ever found was one of those cushions with a battery powered alarm. Put a tiny bit of weight on it and it made a very loud noise. After it went off once or twice we did not even need to turn it on. The mere site of it on the furniture kept them off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They also make an aerosol deterrent that makes a loud "pssssh" hissing sound when you spray it. I have used it to train my cat to not jump up on certain surfaces. You don't need to spray the animal or even be close to them for the sound to be a deterrent.

Important to note, it is more effective if they don't see you make the loud noise. Some animals can and will figure out that if you're not around to make the noise, they can get away with whatever they want.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
My wife doesn’t allow any “filthy” animals in our house (her words). She barely tolerates my being in the house.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does she let you on the couch?

Reactions: Nik333
1 - 20 of 29 Posts