DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am the proud(?) owner of a beat up run down (but good bones) 28x24 exterior wall dimension, single level cinder block house. It has a 3 foot crawl space (least at the back of the house) under the house with the good ol 1x3-4 diagonally run plank floor. The PO apparently pounded nails into 1x2 firing strips on the cinder block walls and threw up sheet rock, no insulation that I can tell.

I want to put up 2x6 walls with good insulation in them. Can I leave whats there now, use that as an airgap and make my 2x6 wall with no worries? Can I leave the original wall, poke holes in the bottom and let the air draft from the bottom to the top and vent into the attic? Will that keep things dry or will that make a hot/cold fun spot for moisture somewhere along the line?

I also do have a 150 gallon fish tank that evaporates about a gallon a day, average.

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
Remove all the sheetrock as it is a breeding ground for mold. Mold needs food, moisture and dark, and you will be providing all three.

·
retired framer
38,991 Posts
Hello all, I am the proud(?) owner of a beat up run down (but good bones) 28x24 exterior wall dimension, single level cinder block house. It has a 3 foot crawl space (least at the back of the house) under the house with the good ol 1x3-4 diagonally run plank floor. The PO apparently pounded nails into 1x2 firing strips on the cinder block walls and threw up sheet rock, no insulation that I can tell.

I want to put up 2x6 walls with good insulation in them. Can I leave whats there now, use that as an airgap and make my 2x6 wall with no worries? Can I leave the original wall, poke holes in the bottom and let the air draft from the bottom to the top and vent into the attic? Will that keep things dry or will that make a hot/cold fun spot for moisture somewhere along the line?

I also do have a 150 gallon fish tank that evaporates about a gallon a day, average.
Take every effort to stop air from the wall to the attic, you want fire stop between the two.
The rest will have a different opinion from everyone here.

! would remove the drywall fill the space with foam board cover that with another 1" seal that, then build a 2x4 wall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts