DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to build an outdoor concrete workbench. I'm going to pour the legs/supports first (H design). After they cure, I'll set them into place, build a plywood form on top of them and pour the final workbench surface.
The top ends of the legs will fit into the lower surface of the workbench slab by 3/4". I will have the table leg ends stick up through the plywood. The idea is to pour the slab and let it form the recess around the protruding table leg ends. If I ever have to move it, the slab should lift off the legs and the recesses underneath will be existing for the next assembly.
The problem: what should I coat the table leg ends to keep the concrete from merging/sticking to it? I was thinking of duct tape or masking tape or somehow getting wax paper to adhere to the protruding leg ends. I don't want anything thicker than that or it will make a loose fit.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,678 Posts
They make a release agent for this use, sold in the concrete additives section of the BOX.

I personally use a spray can of PAM, cooking spray for my release agent, Cheaper, easier to use, readily available, and it works by golly.

ED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ed. I guess my concern is that I won't know if it works or not until years down the road when I or the next home owner attempts to lift the table surface. I like the idea of PAM cooking spray. I may use a few coats just to be sure.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,678 Posts
Thanks, Ed. I guess my concern is that I won't know if it works or not until years down the road when I or the next home owner attempts to lift the table surface. I like the idea of PAM cooking spray. I may use a few coats just to be sure.
It works, I too was skeptical, until I tried it.

A heavy coat is prone to runs downhill, and stains the concrete a bit, so be not too liberal with it.

ED

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I have used the brush on rubber for over 25 years it will not bond to different surfaces. I use it to bench rum plaster cornice the plaster will separate with no resistance. Also use it to apply to mold surface when it needs to separate for removal from casting. It can also be used to copy any shape you can apply as many coats as required to make a rubber mold to pour plaster / cement into to make shapes. Can be purchased from most art supply stores I ordered mine by the 5 Gal. pail from Rub- A -Mold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts