DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a real dumb one for you. I was replacing the supply line of the toilet and I pulled on it and pulled it out of where it was screwed into the valve. I bought one of the cheap grey pvc one piece supply lines that I thought you just cut down to size, screw into the valve with the little white ring on the end, and go. Is it normal for it to be able to just pull out the supply line like that? What am I doing wrong here? When I initially turned on the water, everything was fine, no leaks. I then felt the urge to pull on it to make sure all was well and then this disaster happened.

I feel so retarded over this, but surely gravity or pressure isn't what is holding this supply line in?

·
Premium Member
11,714 Posts
Rather shocking, eh? :laughing: Go buy a stainless steel braided supply line for toilets and your problem solved. I've installed hundreds of compression rings but they were always brass ferrules and rigid supplies. I don't trust the plastic stuff.

Reactions: plumber666

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finger tight :no: slight 1/4 turn with a wrench would of locked the ferrel around that plastic pipe and locked it down into the valve
I guess I should have made sure the white ring was seated flush against the valve opening before screwing the nut down......

Doh....

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
We've had those "blow apart" before. After careful inspection, it looks like "dodo looter" pulled the toilet to clear the line, and put it back.

For a test, I put an angle stop in the vice at the shop, put the ferrule and nut on that plastic supply and tightened it down until I couldn't anymore. First I checked to make sure it wouldn't come out. I was pulling the bench over, so I put my foot on it to hold it, and i couldn't get the thing to budge.

Then I took it apart to make sure the supply and ferrule were still ok, and all was well.

Sounds like you just need to go a little tighter to me, but i'd agree that braided stainless is a better route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts